Quote Originally Posted by Rfkannen View Post
Okay I talked with the dm, and I am going to be playing a reborn hexblade warlock 2/ bard x with the smuggler background!! (Character is going to be a musician who died and did a battle of the bands against the grim reaper to come back to life and it... sort of worked. He is going to look like a skeleton, his instrument is going to be a guitar, and his eldritch blast will look like a spectral pistol, going full cowboy with this)
Any suggestions for how to build him? Any subclasses that might work better than lore?

Also welcome other Character ideas for future campaigns! I love the ideas y'all are throwing out!! (Now I really want to play an abjurer wizard at some point in the future!)
EB is great for range, but you said you wanted to mix it up in melee? Since you're a hexblade, I'd pick up Booming Blade for a nice at-will control option that also deals a fair amount of damage. Add Crusher and you can push the enemy back so they can't reach you without moving and triggering the secondary damage from BB. Heck, thunder damage is a nice thematic fit for a bard, too.

Have you considered what bard subclass you want? My first thought was Swords for melee, but your Blade Flourishes require the Attack action, so it's not compatible with BB. Valor gets Extra Attack, but again, not compatible with BB. I'm not as familiar with bard subclasses, so I'm not sure which one I'd recommend.

Which invocations would you get? If you want control, then Repelling Blast might suit you better than Agonizing Blast. Of course, you can get both, but there are also a lot of other great invocations to choose from.