View Single Post

Thread: The Batman - 2022

1. - Top - End - #55
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Batman - 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I wouldn't hold your breath - judging by his yelling and punching the crazy-guy glass at 1:04, I think we're just going to get more memes
    Oh, I'm not expecting it out of this one. Or anytime soon. I'm just wishlisting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    I fully agree, but your original question was asking whether I didn't like Jaws. Of course I like Jaws, because Jaws has way more stakes than the boring Clark Kent character meditation that was being floated earlier, even if they weren't "world-changing" ones. (And I'd further argue that the people whose livelihoods depend on that town staying open would consider those stakes to be fairly world-changing for them.)
    Jaws is low stakes as opposed to space farmer getting magic pebbles to genocide the galaxy, is what I mean. Not every story needs a Death Star or super hotshot pilot (looking at you, entire Sequel Trilogy). "Low stakes" doesn't mean "practically irrelevant". It just means that the world doesn't need to be in danger because the evil secret organization took over the good secret organization and will blow up half the country because like 90% of the heroes are doing macramè or something.

You could make an awesome story about Superman coming to grips with the fact that despite being effectively a god, he can't save all the people all the time, and he even has to find out where to draw the line and how to emotionally deal with that. That maybe sometimes, Clark Kent can help people in ways that Superman can't. You could have an absolutely fantastic story based on that, because not every superhero movie needs a bad guy to just be punched in just the right way. You can hit dramatic and emotional notes on superheroes just like you can with regular people. Hell, a superhero grappling with dealing with the real world out of their element is dang near what First Blood was, and it was near universally critically acclaimed, dominated the box office in the third quarter, and took until just thee years ago to be toppled in ticket sales in China, for example. It not only works, it works globally. But punching someone in a silly costume sells right now, and that's all that's really important, apparently.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-10-18 at 10:34 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2