View Single Post

Thread: Skill Tricks for Martials

1. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skill Tricks for Martials

This is an idea I can get behind, though I would suggest some things:

- Instead of gaining X skill tricks at Y level, I propose one skill proficiency is tradable for 2 skill tricks whenever you would acquire a skill proficiency after level 1 (in certain classes if you wish it to be limited). From the dev side this gives us a baseline of how good/strong any given trick should be and stops power creep/subsystem fatigue by taking advantage of existing mechanics, and on the play side gives much more reason to pick up feats like Skilled and get more excited about features like Primal Knowledge, Arcane Archer Lore and Survivalist.
    A possible complication to this would be anyone MCing into Rogue could pick up 2 skill tricks immediately on top of the usual benefits (which is already a very strong MC option)

- I assume to qualify for a skill trick you first need proficiency in that skill, but I don't think that was explicitly stated

- Instead of level requirements gate by proficiency bonus, and allow skill tricks to be exchanged when you level up. Just because I feel this better fits the current (post-Tasha's) design trends

- Rule of thumb is that skill tricks shouldn't use their own actions, bonus actions and maybe not even reactions. Everything a martial chooses (the classes you have designated) will pretty much always be compared against their attack action or whatever bonus action/reaction their class/subclass/feat choices make available to them, so skill tricks that don't tie into those will face strong competition

- To make things as interesting as possible for using these we want these to not trigger by passive actions, eg landing a crit, but rather by a decision on the player's part. The above makes this harder but I think you already have a good example with the Medicine Healing Hands trick

- Skill tricks should scale where possible so as soon as the big jumps at levels 5, 11 and 17 happen they aren't immediately phased out
    Last edited by Kane0; 2021-10-20 at 04:09 PM.
    Roll for it
    5e Houserules and Homebrew
    Old Extended Signature
    Awesome avatar by Ceika