View Single Post

Thread: Need a character background written up?

1. - Top - End - #906
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Need a character background written up?

Quote Originally Posted by Sasbuzzkill View Post
    Name Rumil male eladrin bladesong wizard the concept I have right now is he was exiled from the feywild to the mortal realm.
    Consider it added!

Quote Originally Posted by Julan Holtar View Post
    Yeah I really liked what are you doing for character background; btw, how much do you offer?
    How much do I offer? I do these for free. But I take donations (see my signature for more). But if anyone donates I ask that they do it AFTER I've written the background. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasbuzzkill View Post
    Name Rumil male eladrin bladesong wizard the concept I have right now is he was exiled from the feywild to the mortal realm.
    I felt like I had a pretty wide field to play with here.
    So a few fun things to point out as "Easter Eggs" that I often do when I write these.
    I introduce a Pixie named "Metalsing" - this is a double reference. First, heavy metal is my preference of music. (Metal Sing). But secondly, since the Monster Manual has the Pixie as a female with green skin, I thought it'd be fun to reference "Petalwing" from ElfQuest (if you're not familiar with the comic, I strongly STRONGLY recommend the original 20 issues). So when I needed the name "Metalsing" was a spin on "Petalwing."
    Second, Metalsing is heard singing a song - the song she's singing is the lyrics from a song called "Edge of Thorns" by Savatage.
    I used this for a number of reasons - because of the Eladrin thing with seasons - I wanted something with "seasons" in it.
    Also Savatage is my favorite band ever, and the album and song "Edge of Thorns" is pretty amazing.
    Also, Criss Oliva who was the guitarist of Savatage - was killed October 17, 1993 - so I typically spend a week just talking about Savatage (on the day of his birth and death, and really any time anyone listens).
    The location of the river mentioned is "at the edge of Thorn River" - this is a nod to the same song "Edge of Thorns"
    Skraggy's Tomb is mentioned - and this is also a reference to the title of a Savatage song.
    The thing the "enemy" of the story (don't want to spoil it) is from the Savatage song "By The Grace of the Witch."
    Anyway - with all of that said, enjoy - and I'd love ANY feedback you have for me - good, bad, whatever.
    It all helps me grow - and it also keeps the thread bumped and alive. So it's always appreciated.
    ======================================

It is the Eladrin way is to surround ourselves in the things of beauty found within the Feywild; but like the changing seasons, so to, does our mind sway. From the joy of Spring, to the intense fiery heat of Summer, to the feelings of goodwill during the Autumn, where we avoid violence when possible, to the melancholy chill of the Winter breeze.

My name is Rumil, and the Feywild was once my home.

I say once, because I’ve been exiled – now to the plane of Mortals.

I reflect back on how I got here and I know I regret nothing. I’d make all the same choices I’d made before that led to my exile.

It’d been a Spring like any other. The chill of Winter’s touch had faded; the snow, now melted turned to water to feed the plants and give life to the streams and rivers again. This led to the blooming of the wild flowers all across the land that filled the air with their beautiful scent. Indeed, Spring was the Season of New Beginnings.

And for me, the Season of an Ending.

I’d been walking with Korrus – you must know Korrus to truly understand Korrus. He’s a Korred – and to take his own words (a jest he commonly repeats to anyone who bends an ear to him) – “You should have seen me mother! Most beautiful dwarven lass in all the Planes! And me father, he was a Satyr who could charm the pants of any Deity!”

In truth, Korrus was not part Dwarf – part Satyr. But for those unfamiliar to what Korred look like; that may be perhaps the best way to describe them. Short, stout, muscular, their upper torso is humanoid, with a face and beard that resembled common dwarves; but their bottom torso was that of a two legged goat.

Korrus was unlike any other Korred – yes, he loved to dance and play – but he was often far more crass, brash, and forward than most (which sometimes made me wonder if that joke he told about his mother and father just might be true – because he certainly had the self-control of Satyr at times). Korrus – in short – was the Feywild defined in a single being; coursing with magical energies and absolutely wild and shifting at all times.

We had just reached the edge of the forever green woods of Aeternum, when Korrus had just finished wrapping up his (I am quite positively – slightly exaggerated) story of his latest conquest that included the Dryad Praesidiumili, of the Lost Wood. Up ahead, I could hear the overly loud singing of the very person I was here to see.
    Metalsing.

Metalsing was a Pixie who was named as such, due to the metallic color of her wings, and her passion for singing. Metalsing – like all Pixies, had the youthful features of an Elven child – and while the skin tone of Pixies varied – with some, like my own people, able to shift their skin tone – Metalsing always maintained a green skin tone, with fiery red hair (to match her fiery attitude, no doubt). With a gossamer clothing, she was quite a sight to behold.

She was – naturally – singing as we were approaching her.

“A study made of winter, of summers long ago, and dreams that used to glitter, safely now hidden under snow, And so we end – Oh!” Metalsing looked up, perched on a log. “I didn’t hear you. Which is surprising,” she looked at Korrus, “because he usually never stops yapping.”

“You’re a fine one to talk!” Korrus barked back. “We could hear your singing all the way back from Krestadin!”

“And it sounds beautiful,” Metalsing pouted, folding her arms across her chest.

These two bickered all the time – but in truth, there was a great love between them. Nothing romantic. Simply a mutual respect. Metalsing loved Korrus’ story telling while Korrus actually loved Metalsing’s voice.

“All right you two,” I sighed. I sat down next to Metalsing and looked over at her. “Have you heard or seen anything?”

“Yes,” she turned and looked at me, a dark expression on her face. I was taken aback, because I’d been doing my patrols for months now, and Metalsing never had anything to report. I half expected, after a moment that she was going to make a joke about Korrus being the problem, but when her expression did not lighten up, I knew she was serious.

“What have you seen?” I asked.

“A hag,” Metalsing whispered. “A Green Hag.”

“This close to Aeternum?” I asked, shocked.

“And you – singing at the top of your lungs!” Korrus muttered loud enough to be heard, his magical beard slithering around like a snake.

Metalsing scoffed, “I can turn invisible.”

“And most Hags have the power to see through that,” Korrus growled. “You’re going to get yourself killed.”

“Easy, easy,” I whispered putting my hands between them to keep them apart. “Where did you see this hag?”

“Near Skraggy’s Tomb,” she replied. “At the edge of Thorn Lake.”

“I know where it is,” I said, drawing my sword. I turned to Korrus, “You don’t have to –“

But he stopped me.

“I’m coming with you,” he said, matter-of-factly.

“Fine, follow me,” I whispered, and slowly he and I made our way towards Thorn Lake.

Skraggy had been a human; one of the few to enter the Feywild. He was a great warrior, admired by many; but the Feywild magic eventually began to impact his sanity. He was soon caught up in the wild changes of the Feywild, and rapidly went from great, esteemed warrior, to hopeless drunk – which in the end, proved to be his demise; poisoned by the alcohol he’d consumed so much of. Regardless, his time before his fall into madness – he had been a great warrior for the Feywild, and so his tomb was erected here at Thorn Lake, where he would often come to speak to the Dryad every Dawn of the morning.

As we reached Thorn Lake – both Korrus and I noticed something immediately.

“Why are there no birds chirping?” Korrus whispered. “Something is definitely off.”

Even Nature knew when a hag was present and to remain silent. Hags were the embodiment of evil, inside and out. They thrived not so much in killing – but suffering. The longer their victims suffered, all the better to the hag; especially if the suffering was done through an act of deception. There was a story that’s been told for generations of how a cult had killed a Dryad of the Woods as well as the Unicorn of the Woods; and a Green Hag was drawn to the scene of this great tragedy – and took on the disguise of the Dryad and tricked a group of adventurers into slaying Centaurs of the Woods, by using her foul illusions to make them appear as demons to the adventuring party; and once the demons had been slain, she revealed the truth of what they’d done. This was the type of depravity and horror hags thrived on.

As we scouted the area, we had found evidence of a hag’s presence; where plants had mysteriously rotted and died; touch by the foul magics of a hag who despise all things beautiful.

For weeks, we’d come back and Metalsing reported seeing the hag, and we’d go to Thorn Lake and find evidence of the hag’s presence; but never found the hag itself.

One week, as we approached Aeternum, I expected to hear Metalsing’s voice, as we’d always had; but this time there was silence. Could it be that the hag was near Metalsing and her fellow Pixie’s home? Korrus and I began moving quietly forward – and like the times down and Thorn Lake, the forest was eerily quiet. Despite it still being Spring, there was a chill of Winter’s touch – and a tremendous sadness that pounded over us both, like a tsunami wave of endless grief.

And soon it’d become clear as to why.

Metalsing’s body was pinned to an oak tree – spikes driven through her hands and chest. Her wings pried off her dead body.

Pixie Wings were used for a number of spell components, such as Dust of Disappearance; but a many other great, darker magics. It was clear who had done this.

I heard Korrus whisper, “Don’t do anything-“

But it was already too late. I quickly drew my swords and rapidly made my way towards Thorn Lake where we’d always seen evidence of the hag – I suddenly realized where the hag had been hiding. Reaching Skraggy’s Tomb, I ripped open the door and immediately could smell foul magic. The damn hag had used the tomb as her home; drawn here by a great fallen hero, who died due to his own demons from within the bottle.

“Show yourself,” I howled as my skin turned the fiery red of Summer.

“Alone in the darkness,” a voice hissed from the shadows, “lonely and scared; you’re in fear of your life. Deadly witch’s crystal sensing your fears! My spell is cast upon you, my little dear!”

And at that moment, a spell came from the far left corner of the tomb – and that was all I had needed. Diving behind the sarcophagus, the spell shattered the corner – but now I knew where the hag was. My flesh and steel shining as bright as the day breaking sun I rushed forward and plunged my blade deep into her. Her invisibility crackled, and faded, and her horrified eyes peered at me.

This wasn’t enough.

While she was still alive, I wanted to make her suffer. So I dismembered her, while she was alive. She screamed at first – but in the end she laughed.

And I knew why.

She’d made me go to a place just as dark as her own soul.

Because of this, I was exiled. Though I had killed a Hag that had, upon investigating, murdered many; it was how I’d lost control of myself. How I embraced a darkness that I did not know existed within me.

And now, here I am – standing on a dusty road, in the Plane of Mortals, hoping to find my place in this world.
    Last edited by Tawmis; 2021-10-20 at 11:12 PM.
    Need a character origin written? Enjoyed what I wrote? How can you help me? Not required, but appreciated! <3

Check out my 5e The Secret of Havenfall Manor or my character back stories over at DMsGuild.com! (If you check it out - please rate, comment, and tell others!)

Subscribe to my D&D Channel on Youtube! (Come by and Sub)