View Single Post

Thread: Unpopular D&D Opinions

1. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Unpopular D&D Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
    If I know about the ogre outside of town, and that he's watching the western gate...and choose to go out the eastern gate hidden in a barrel of fish, I may well be displeased that the ogre is suddenly on the eastern road...but if we are none the wiser and the GM has planned a ogre/griffin/gibbering mouther encounter that will occur on the Old Towne Road while transiting from Nowhere Hamlet to Bigcityville, I have precisely zero issue with that encounter falling on us even if we chose New Towne Path instead of Old Towne Road.
    Thats not really a quantum ogre.

When it's a quantum ogre is if there are three roads to different destinations, and one is an ogre encounter and another a tougher giant encounter and the third you find the mcguffin, and regardless of which ones you choose the ogre encounter is first, the giant second encounter, then you find the mcguffin on the third.

And that really does make informed player decision making pointless. I mean, if they chose them effectively at random, they already ceded player agency in the first place. But a quantum ogre assumes no way /precludes any way for them to get the information to make an informed player decision.

Also usually when I've heard it discussed player agency is being discussed at the team level. Not at the level of "you don't get to tell me what my character says/does/feels/thinks" level. That's a whole other barrel of worms.