Quote Originally Posted by Mordar View Post
tl;dr: Quantum ogres are fine. Starting the story on the path to King Blobb's Mines even if we didn't play out the mission acceptance is fine. Destroying everything my character worked for on a whim, not fine. Making my character take actions demonstrably and directly opposed to my paradigm, not fine. Agency is important, but it isn't the most important thing in the game.

- M

Saw this after:

Some degree of what I believe many people think of as railroading may be acceptable, and potentially even good...but the classic perjorative use (to me: single solution to adventures, GM drives everything and players just roll dice, can never turn away from the scripted plot) is a loud no. I advocate for hopping on and off the train as the group wills, and that the train is only transport to the start of the new story.
Ok we roughly agree. It occurred to me during the recent big thread about railroading on here that loss player agency is a core part of how most RPGs work - it happens every time you fail a dice roll, after all - and not really the problem with railroading (which I just define as a linear narrative structure that the GM enforces).