Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
I mean if my sword being in good condition when stabbing something was a concern I would call that a need even if it wasn't an emergency.
For a concern to become a need generally means there are no possible alternatives. Usually there are other ways to stab someone, and many other ways to deal with someone besides stabbing too.

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
There happens to be a fairly relevant situation on this very site!

I would not call the pirates antagonistic there. They simple see the heroics as a normal thing that happens in the world so much that they can pass it off as "apocalypse of the week". There are many campaigns going on at any given point, apparently, and they don't want to be stuck with the bill. From their point of view, it's perfectly rational - the heroes want a service to save the day, they pay for that service. And the heroes, I should note, seem to agree.
It is indeed rational - as was their decision to immediately back down once Bandana and Roy agreed on a reasonable price for their services. If she had instead demanded 2 million gold for each pirate, or selling Haley into slavery for the crew, that would have been an entirely different conversation.

You'll note too that the one person who didn't consider the exchange reasonable - Andi - did end up being an antagonist, at least for a time.