View Single Post

Thread: Fizban's first impressions

1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Fizban's first impressions

I decided to make a thread for people to put their first impressions of the new dnd book!

My personal thoughts after looking at the book for less than 20 minutes:
    Dm thoughts:
    Spoiler: list
    Show
    • I love a lot of the art in this! There are some SUPER rad dragons, in particular the great wyrms.
    • More high-level monsters!! Some REALLY fun ones too! I want to throw a dragon with animated breath at my players someday.
    • The hoard items seem like a fun idea, and I would love to get one as a player, but they seem like a bit much to have to keep track of as a gm; I don't usually include that many dragons in one campaign.
    • The random dragon charts look fun!
    • Greatwyrms are alright, not very unique but would be a good bbeg.
    • Not sure why Tiamat is weaker than her aspect.
    • The deep dragon is adorable.
    • In general some VERY fun options for running a dragon cult faction; I might have to throw one of those into my next campaign.
    • DRAGGONEL YES DRAGONRIDER NPCS

Player thoughts
    Spoiler: list
    Show
    • All the new Dragonborn are SUPER fun; metallic Dragonborn looks like the most fun race mechanically of any I have ever seen. Unfortunately, chromatic Dragonborn gets the short end of the stick. I don't picture chromatic Dragonborn as defensive, and getting immunity to damage you already resist isn't THAT great.
    • All three feats are fascinating, as they seem powerful by themselves, but I am not sure what character would make use of them. Gift of the chromatic is fun for a melee character, but I am not sure it would ever be worth more than +2 to your stat. Gift of the gem dragon would be fantastic for any caster without a good reaction, basically just druids and clerics. Finally, the gift of the metallic dragon is my favorite by far, but I don't know who would want it. The reaction is awesome, but the cure wounds feels redundant.
    • Monk got nerfed. That is sad.
    • Drakewarden seems better and super cool, but it still doesn't capture the dragon rider fantasy most people want.
    • I am mad that wizard gets all the spells; sorcerers should, but do wizards need this?
    • Nathair's mischief looks a bit too unpredictable to be useful, but also a ton of fun
    • rime's binding ice is now the best second-level spell in the game, by far.
    • I am not sure who would be using ashardalon's stride (maybe a bladesinger), but it is PACK FULL of flavor!
    • I'm glad sorcerers get a summon spell.
    • Draconic transformation seems a bit undercooked.
    • DRAGONNEL YES, DRAGONRIDER PCS. EVERY BARD OR PALADIN I EVER PLAY IS GETTING ONE. I don't even care if it's any good mechanically (it seems just flat out worse than other options tbh). ITS A DRAGON
    • I LOVE the art direction on the draconians. haven't read anything about them yet, but this is what I wish Dragonborn looked like.

What are your thoughts on the book?
    Last edited by Rfkannen; 2021-10-26 at 01:16 AM.
    If you want to see some art here is my instagram https://www.instagram.com/rfkannen/