Quote Originally Posted by Dienekes View Post
I think perhaps you’d enjoy a weird homebrew nonsense thing I made a while back. Essentially I turned maneuvers into a deck building game. The warrior got a series of maneuver cards, at the start of combat you shuffle and draw a hand. Once used a maneuver could not be used again. At the beginning of each of your turns draw an additional card.

At any time you can take a “reposition” action, where you shuffled up all your cards in the deck, hand, and used piles and drew a new hand.

It was incredibly fun the times I tried it. But it’s a bit much for a 5e homebrew.
One thing I played with in 4e was to have the Fighter assign their powers to values on a die, like 1 to 6.

On your turn you'd roll some "fortune of battle" dice, and based on the dice it would determine which powers you could use that turn.

This replaced the refresh mechanics of the Fighter.

I think there was a utility d6, a daily d6, and an attack d6. To use a daily utility or encounter power, your daily die had to match the attack or utility die.

Each power could be slotted into any value from 1 to 6. You could even put two powers on one value, if you wanted to form a combo.

You could then add mechanics to manipulate those "fortune of battle" dice. Like, when you do an action surge you get an extra d6 attack die and can reroll the daily die. Or if you don't use your attack die on a turn, you can change its value by 1 and use it next turn instead. Or you could keep 1 die you didn't spend each turn, and add or subtract it from the same die type next turn (this makes 1s something you don't put an ability on usually).