1. - Top - End - #495
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: MTG - You Make The Card VIII: Escape - Exile 7 MTG topics to create this thread

Alright, let's check out our new [[Rogues Gallery]]!

Spoiler: Yamazaki Conglomerates
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ben-zayb View Post
    Ambitious Junior R
    Creature - Human Samurai C
    Ranked 0 (Whenever this creature deals combat damage, you may put a rank counter on it or a higher-ranked creature you control.)
    ~ has haste as long as you control a higher-ranked creature.
    "In competitive, fast-paced environments, the rank-and-file can be too eager to impress." -Yamazaki Tora, Executive Vice President, Yamazaki Conglomerates
    2/1

Spoiler: Ranked mechanics
    Show
    Ranked X (This creature enters the battlefield with X rank counters on it. Whenever this creature deals combat damage, you may put a rank counter on it or a higher-ranked creature you control.)

The first ability is explicitly excluded for rank 0.

Basically, the mechanics represent hierarchy in (yakuza) organizations for a future Kamigawa set, where a lower-ranked creature can improve their or their superior's ranks. Abilities of Samurai in the set will be based on controlling creatures of lower or higher rank.
    You certainly nailed the goal of the [[Competition]]! It suggests a unique mechanical direction reflecting an antagonist that cares about a tiered hierarchy of [[minions]] jockeying for position. Funnily enough, the card is probably better in constructed as a 2/1 for 1, since in [draft] it dies too easily, haste or no.

Spoiler: The Laughing Puppet
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Quiddle View Post
    Strings of the Master 2UU
    Instant C
    Tap or untap target creature, that creature must attack and block this turn if able.
    Draw a card.
    "Haven't you learned your choices don't matter?"-The Laughing Puppet
    A [[Store brand]] [[0-LOVE spell]] that gives blue a [[off-color]] provoke ability? That's not very [[Big Shot]] of you, Quiddle!

Spoiler: Seraphor, Angelic Reclaimer
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mythmonster2 View Post
    Reclaimer's Taskmaster 2W
    Creature- Human Soldier (C)
    When Reclaimer's Taskmaster enters the battlefield, tap target creature an opponent controls.
    "This city's inhabitants have been corrupted by the demons. We shall purify them through hard work." Seraphor, angelic reclaimer.
    3/2

Idea: New Capenna is said to have been founded by angels. Perhaps the angels were totalitarian rulers, so much that the inhabitants of the cities turned to the demon gangs to expel the angels and free them. Now the angels, under Seraphor, have come to reclaim the city.
    [[But what if the Angels were the bad guys?]] I feel like we've been there before, but I can't articulate where in Magic that was, so maybe I'm thinking of video games. At any rate, the card's mechanics are very [[Store-brand]], but then it probably makes sense for an angel to pursue a [[Store-brand]] mono-white play style.

Spoiler: Luxenthrazz, the Pristine Hand
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Personification View Post
    Bulwark of Fear 2W
    [Art: An annoyed angel is talking to a smug-looking demon in a tailored suit. Behind them, is a row of houses with closed doors and shuttered windows, through which frightened eyes are peeking. ]
    Instant C
    Until end of turn, you and Planeswalkers you control gain hexproof and cannot be attacked.

Of course I will comply with your investigation, officer, but I must protest my innocence. In fact, I doubt there is a soul in this city who would testify against a pillar of the community such as myself.
    -Luxenthrazz, the Pristine Hand

Spoiler: Luxenthrazz
    Show

New Capenna has been confirmed to be a three-color set,and each faction is ruled by a demon. This means that, if they are doing shards as most assume, there will be a Bant demon. Luxenthrazz is my take on that idea. He provides protection, community, and opportunity for those who ally themselves with him for a... reasonable cost, and you'll never here a word said against him by any of them. After all, who would speak against such an upstanding citizen? There's nothing more evil-W than a good old culture of fear.
    This card is hilarious and goes far to suggest the villain's untouchable status, but it's so [[gloomy]] to have at [- C]. In limited, it's liable to extend games in a way that neither player is really happy with. The idea could work as a rare, but it's so close to being a white Time Walk that even then it's pretty [[spoopy]].

Spoiler: Sin Cak, Final Prophet of Dying Gaia
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Nature's Anguished Weeping 1G
    Enchantment — Aura C
    Enchant land
    When ~ enters the battlefield, create two 1/1 green Saproling creature tokens.
    Enchanted land is a Swamp.
    "I've warned them about the dangers of their negligence. Whether they die by their own slow suicide or my armies, it is still perhaps too late." - Sin Cak, Final Prophet of Dying Gaia
    The card is creepy and weird in a way that instantly has me paying attention to see what this Cak character is up to, so that's [[a job well done!]]. I'm not 100% on whether green really gets to [[murder]] manabases like this, but it did used to have land destruction, [[Witherbloom]] still does sometimes I think, and simplifying nonbasics is certainly in-character for green.

Spoiler: Edelgard, Crimson Flower
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Misothene View Post
    Black Eagle Fighter 2B
    Creature- Human Warrior C
    Menace
    Whenever Black Eagle Fighter attacks, it gets +1/+0 until end of turn.
    When each player controls six or more lands, transform Black Eagle Fighter.
    1/4
    The Imperial princess of Adrestia led the Black Eagle House to be incredibly skilled in melee combat, in particular setting a fearsome example with her favored axes.
    /////////////////////////
    Adrestian Warrior
    Creature- Human Warrior C
    (Black color indicator)
    Menace
    Whenever Adrestian Warrior attacks, it gets +2/+0 until end of turn.
    2/5
    In Emperor Edelgard's war against the Church of Seiros, Imperial warriors were particularly infamous for their brutality and tenacity in battle.

This card is based on a hypothetical Universes Beyond set featuring Fire Emblem Three Houses, posing Edelgard in the villain role. The transform condition would represent the timeskip in the game, and presumably be on many creatures across all rarities.
    The [[Side B]] mechanic is a great idea for the set, but it doesn't really set Edelgard's cards apart from those of the other [[House Leaders]]. The flavor reference to their tenacity does some good [[lifting]], though.

Spoiler: Armorgdyla, Third Precept of Violence
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Necroticplague View Post
    Exceed Expectations R
    Instant-C
    A creature you control gains +1/+0 and first strike until end of turn.
    "Violence without artistry accomplishes nothing but filling graveyards and scrapyards"-Armorgdyla, Third Precept of Violence.
    Why is this card so [[plebian]]? I can tell you made it this way on purpose, I'm no stranger to making boring cards for the sake of a theme. I guess you were just... excited to make a [[Combat trick]] that doesn't have to pick a target until it resolves? And you didn't want to complicate matters further since it was still a [[- C]]?

Okay, yeah, the computer gag is completely played out now.
    Spoiler: That's why...
    Show
    A new reprint of Naturalize shows mystic1110's villain, Sin Cak, slowly shambling away from the ruins of the Design-o-tron 3000, that it might never plague us with it stupid glitchy text again.
    Last edited by Dr.Gunsforhands; 2021-10-29 at 02:44 AM.