Quote Originally Posted by Oromin View Post
It strongly depends on the particular acid and the particular rock. Ceramic materials, like rocks, are usually pretty resistant, which is why you can usually store acids in a glass bottle. Some rocks are less so. Most notably limestone. Thus I choose to believe this is multidimensional limestone.
Hydrofluoric acid will dissolve silicate minerals, but it's a very slow process even when the rock is finely powdered and the reaction is done at boiling-water temperatures. It also dissolves glass, still pretty slowly. It's usually stored in plastic bottles, though HF gas is sometimes stored in cylinders made of alloys chosen to be unreactive with it. Since HF also causes severe chemical burns to flesh, which are painless initially, it has to be handled extremely carefully.

Once, when I was working for a software company, one of the salesthings came to me and demanded that I come up with a chemical that would make rock dissolve away, so a prospective client could use it for mineral exploration. (No explosions! Environmentally friendly! You're a chemist, right?) I had to explain to him that there was no such thing... an uphill slog, especially as he was expecting to get a million-dollar contract for it. To this day, I haven't the faintest idea why he -- doing sales for a software company -- had gotten into that nonsense. When the company folded a year or so later, he was peeved that all of the other salespeople had gotten commissions on their final paycheques, but he hadn't. It was because in his entire time with the company, he hadn't made a single sale. It's my speculation that he'd actually cost the company a few contracts, by showing up at client meetings and saying such blindingly stupid things that he scared the clients away. Saying blindingly stupid things was kind of his thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Oromin View Post
Fizzing on contact with air indicates either dissolved gas (like soda) or a volatile liquid (any number of organics). Fizzing on contact with the stone suggests a reaction producing gas (all sorts of possibilities). If this was real life the biggest hint would be the color. Very very few liquids are green. I'll leave the D&D speculation to the experts cause I don't know that stuff. I'm going to imagine it's Marble's reagent :)
I've a vague recollection of using green chromium oxide (Cr2O3) dissolved in concentrated sulfuric acid for some tough glassware-cleaning jobs.

I'm not convinced that what we're seeing in the strip represents a reaction, rather than the liquid fuming or just being noxious in an aerosol kind of way -- spores, or something like that. It could even be a harmless attractant of some kind, intended to get the attention of the next few monster "traps".