Humans are definitely special in Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by ecarden View Post
Spoiler: The Celestials are incompetent...
Show
Okay, so the Celestial leader can just grab them at any time. We see that at the end. So, uh, why doesn't he? There is no chance that the deviants can prevent the emergence. It is happening in seven days, but something is killing off your defenders and stealing their powers...so, remove the defenders? Or have some sort of remote shutdown? I mean, he has to know that his beacon was destroyed, right? Why not gather them up at that point?

More generally, I can buy that this is the team which has to exist because they've tested all the options. Maybe Sprite's creepy obsession with Icarus is necessary to properly motivate her and Druig's mind control powers are needed to keep sentient life safe and the speedster needs to be deaf because sometimes Deviants develop sonic attacks or something.

However, having lost total control of one creation, their solution was 'make another one and put no controls on it.' And that's without getting into the 'created the deviants and apparently placed them on every creche planet ever simultaneously (or continued to place them, then dump Eternals on afterward? Unclear). It's like the writers forgot the scale of the movie. They've been on earth for 7000 years, but have been doing this for millions, so uh, why are there Deviants here at all? They aren't a natural byproduct of the celestial's presence or anything, they're a created race which was placed to eliminate the non-sentient predators...

Uh, and if you're grabbing people, why not the three who are on the ship you gave them? Grab them all!
It's an interesting question.
Spoiler: Arishem
Show
It might be that, just like humanity impressed Ajak by stopping Thanos, the Eternals impressed Arishem by stopping Tiamut. He probably saw the Emergence as inevitable, until they prevented it, which forced him to revise all his calculations. I view it kind of like completing the Crucible in Mass Effect 3 or Neo reaching the Source in the Matrix - it's an event of such technological achievement that it forces the Super AI to throw out its old programming and be open to new ideas.

Spoiler: Absence of other players...
Show
Uh...yeah...I got nothing.
I do!
Spoiler
Show
It's worth pointing out exactly how many of Marvel's heroes are concentrated not just in the US, but in NYC specifically. Stan and Steve wrote what they knew

This film meanwhile jumped all over, from the UK to Australia to South Dakota to wherever the hell Tiamut was emerging. Sometimes "Avengers Assemble" is just not feasible for every threat, even a global one.

Finally, I will repeat my comment from Dune. If movies want to be this long, then theaters need to start including an intermission.
I seem to remember they used to, come to think of it.