Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
My guess is that Redcloak has, more or less consciously, avoided having a real talk with the Dark One because he's afraid that
Spoiler: Start of Darkness
Show
his boss doesn't approve of his actions (like sending goblins to die, serving Xykon and murdering Right-Eye) or that Right-Eye was right about the Dark One and that none of this is actually going to help the goblinoids.
I think this is pretty reasonable, and it wouldn't even stop TDO from granting Redcloak spells. TDO probably also recognizes that, for better or worse, he's not finding a higher-level cleric who is this committed to the Plan. So it might be "Don't screw this up" in part as "Everything you've cost our people, you'd better get this done."

Then again, according to Jirix, TDO referred to Redcloak as his "true prophet," so maybe he doesn't feel that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Elemental View Post
It is an interesting question!

Just for everyone's refreshment, here's the relevant lines from 1206

Redcloak does seem extremely surprised at the idea that direct communication with Thor in this matter was even plausible for Durkon (Who isn't a high priest at all), and I'm not sure that "I try to give him his space" ought be interpreted as "I never call" so much as "He never responded and I've stopped trying in case I'm angering him by being pestersome".

But it feels like a very deliberate set of words to include one way or another, comic joke aside, and I wouldnt be surprised if the next panel set we get of Team Evil ends with redcloak casting Communion, all alone.
I think panel 12 is mostly a joke about relationships that are on thin ice / someone having interest that isn't reciprocated, but practically speaking it makes sense to me that Redcloak has stopped trying to Commune, if he ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
I'm also trying to point out that Big Purple does talk to his clerics, if not directly, through the Mantle. And if
Spoiler: SoD
Show
is to be believed, he even updates the info the Mantle imparts with its wearer whenever he finds out something important, since Redcloak tells Xykon it was created before the Gates were.
Spoiler: Start of Darkness
Show
This is not accurate; Redcloak's story makes it clear that The Dark One creates the Crimson Mantle as a response to learning about the rifts and the Snarl. (pp. 42-43)