Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
Aha. On further reading, I see what you mean. Yeah, your interpretation probably is accurate, then.

Spoiler: Start of Darkness
Show
I do find it odd that the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle was hunted down before the Gate ritual was even devised. The goblins were hunted just for trying to learn about the rifts? And how did the Scribble find out? Their own gods? This leaves me with more questions than I came in with.
Spoiler
Show
That's not what Redcloak says, though. He says the first bearer was commanded to "seize the Rift" and the crayons shows him leading a war party. Soon's wife fell into that Rift during a picninc while they were in a diplomatic mission to the Elven Lands, so it seems Lirian's Gate/Rift was located deep in Elven territory. So their action was most likely partly defensive. Also, the crayons shows the First Bearer being defeated by the entire Order of the Scribble (minus Soon, oddly enough) and Serini's diary called Dorukan "the new kid" implying that the Order took some time to form. We don't know how long it's been between Soon and Lirian discovering the Rift and that battle, but it may have been it was long enough for them to learn at least of the scale of the danger. Probably from one of the Twelve or an Elven nature deity that Lirian worshipped.