Quote Originally Posted by Duff View Post
As others have alluded to but not outright said
"What do you see as the actual problem?"

Is it "A single powerful monster goes down too fast"
"When the powerful party takes on a village of goblins they die the death of a thousand cuts"
"As a GM i get bored as the whole party pound on my big monster and I just write down ever smaller numbers until it's my turn again"
"My players get bored when it's not their turn and the monster stands there doing nothing"
Yeah, I'm not entirely clear what response OP was attempting to get. I'm assuming not just a definition of action economy.

My best guess is 'why is action economy such a hot topic on discussion boards and what action economy issues instigate such teeth-gnashing?' To which I'd say your scenarios are a big factor. Also several D&D-specific issues like:
"my 3e divine-metamagic-plus-nightsticks CoDzilla build effectively has 3-30 combat buffs cast before the scenario even starts,"
"my 5 polearm master build always has a use of their main action, bonus action, and often reaction actions each round, while your barbarian usually just has something in their main action,"
"My ranged build always has an action which changes hp of the opposition while your melee-only build spends many rounds running up to thing or not even being able to reach them,"
"because of the 5/15-minute workday, my full-caster can fill all 6 rounds of combat we expect to have each day with a (or even more than one) high-powered spell response while your martial character has a slow-and-steady action output that would overtake the caster in effectiveness in a long, drawn-out slog of a day scenario that we don't actually end up doing."
And so forth.