Quote Originally Posted by sithlordnergal View Post
I mean, even as a buffer I find my cleric really only has three spells to add: Aid, Bless, and Death Ward. Outside of that, I've yet to find any spells that impress me as buffs for the party, debuffs for the enemy, or battlefield control. Most of their higher level spells seem to have a heavy focus on Divination...but I've never found a use for Divination spells. I find Druids are far better at things like Battlefield control, transportation, ect.

Edit: Now, once I reach level 17 I suspect I'll have more fun...but that's only going to be because of Wish. I'm an Arcana cleric, and using Wish to instantly make a Simulacrum, then wait a day to cast it again for an instant, free Planar Binding is gonna be great. But I could do the same thing as a Wizard...
Bane has wrecked many a DM's plans. I used it on a hydra once. Spirit Guardians wants a word with you. Healing Word and Cure Wounds spells have been literal life savers, even in combat. Guidance, Guiding Bolt, Shield of Faith, Banishment, Freedom of Movement, Lesser and Greater Restoration, Dispel Evil & Good, Blade Barrier, Word of Recall, Heroes' Feast, Divine Word, Antimagic Field, Holy Aura, Mass Heal. All are worthy buff, debuff, or battlefield control. What you probably see is they're not as flashy as other class spells and fewer number of spells per level available. They nevertheless get the job done.

At low level, it can also be fun doing Spiritual Weapon and Cantrip or Weapon attacks all combat long, getting "extra attack" two levels before the warrior classes. Sometimes that good enough even for mid level combats when you want to conserve spell slots and don't need to use your big guns, but the occasional Guiding Bolt and then attack with advantage with your already cast Spiritual Weapon is nice too.