Wild Mike's

"Nay. I try not t' think about it. I don't know if'n I be alive enough t' continue, in any way. So I try not t' think o' th' day me lamp runs out o' oil." Frigate doesn't know if he has a soul, and can't even sleep to experience 'death' that way, and the idea of one day not being... disconcerts him. A more modern individual would probably use the metaphor 'when my battery runs dry', or 'battery dies', but as far as Frigate's concerned a battery is a group of cannon all firing from the same place.

Late at Night, Residential Road- Interaction Wanted

There's a subdued flash of light and an old-fashioned van appears. It's a Bedford CA, painted duck-egg blue, with odd nodules mounted on the corners. It arrives a short distance above the road and on its side, and hits with a loud crunch and then skids a short distance, the paint scraping off. One of the back doors bangs open and hits the road, spilling a few bits of detritus- clothing, bits of scientific equipment, and so on. The driver is visible through the windscreen, slumped against the steering wheel, held in place against gravity on the side furthest from the road; they seem unconscious.