Quote Originally Posted by Cikomyr2 View Post
The more I think about it, the more I prefer Villeneuve's focus on the oppressed's struggle against the oppressor as the thematic thread of the movie.

I just wished Paul's character arc was a more progressive transformation from a Landsraad Noble with Landsraad nobleman's concerns and tactics, to a Fremen Liberator.

The way it plays out, he goes from A to B in the span of about 20 minutes in the movie, while that transition should have been the focus of his character.

He should have seen the Fremen as nothing but a people to use at first. See them as the pawns of the Bene Gesserit. Only see them within the consideration of the next Duke Atreides, and his views should have evolved with exposure.
I don't recall this as being a perspective Paul (or Leto, for that matter) would have ever had...if not from the beginning, from fairly early on in the book they were depicted as the "not-Harkkonens", particularly in regards to not viewing people as easily replaceable tools/assets. I think the rapid "Dances With Wolves" treatment would undercut the value of the Atreides story/presentation.

Am I mistaken? It has been more than 15 years since I read Dune.

- M