Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
In the anime (which is all Rater knows of the series), Mega Man was new in the first episode, and the relevant spoiler thing which in the games would heavily conflict with that just isn't a thing.

My preferred read on how chips are physical things that can also be acquired purely digitally is that A: Lan has a bunch of blank memory chips that he saves chip data onto, B: the folder is a literal small folder/pouch, and C: the random-draw nature of things is because Lan literally just grabs a few to slot in without looking, from which Mega Man then selects several according to code.

Oh, incidentally: the anime covers elements from all six mainline games in the series, but only approximately at best, and the farther it goes the more it's just a completely different story and version of the setting with a lot of character overlap, or sometimes even just character-design overlap.
Oh! I didn't know that at all, neat!

I kinda figured that too, but it really speaks to how... not good an operator Lan is if he does that. But that's probably the most likely result!