Quote Originally Posted by Burley View Post
Okay, it's not always the case, but this isn't what the OP was talking about. Your examples aren't stealing the lime light.

In my current game, I'm playing an Artificer and the DM created a thief character who wanted to join the thieves guild, so, our party rogue helped her out with that and they started dating (DM and Rogue player are married). Suddenly, this thief character from the thieves guild is an Artificer, with a +10 to Initiative, has two subclasses somehow and always gets the killing blow.
I get that the class is fun and interesting, but it's what I, the player, am using. Let ME make it fun and interesting, please. (My artificer Niall is a gnome, who has no magical ability, so, everything is alchemical. Except for his pet pig Hammers, who his brother accidently turned into a cauldron.) I can make interesting characters, but I can't compete for screen time with the person who literally runs the world. Now, even though the DM doesn't have any plot hooks or adventures ready, this DMPC want's to join our group and go adventuring, leaving behind the thieves guild we busted to get her into and the orphans she joined the guild to support.

That's the DM being new and bored and wanting to be a player again. That's where the line between NPC and DMPC is crossed.
So the npc in question isnt the cause of the issue why treat it as such? If the problem is a dissatisfied DM then why not just deal with that instead of trying to defect to silly divisions of types of NPCs?