1. - Top - End - #37
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: What 5e subclasses do you think most or least fulfill their intended fantasy?

Quote Originally Posted by Gtdead View Post
    Hmm, if I had to choose one from each class:
    Bard: Eloquence (While eloquence feels the most vanilla conceptually, is the one that makes the most sense to me, however I have to say that I don't really get the Bard fluff)
    I exclusively play Eloquence bards, and honestly, it's because they are very overpowered. But it almost makes them mismatch their concept IMO. Like, when you stack mind sliver + unsettling words + silver barbs to put like a -14 on a saving throw for someone, you're not just like a really convincing speaker. That's active and very creepy mind control that I think the class should have developed more, making the first generally evil oriented bard.

Heavy cult leader vibes from unfailing inspiration, infectious inspiration, silver tongue etc-- like all the mechanics are there and it's billed a diplomat type when really it would have been more fun and thematic to be a semi-psionic/telepathic mind-molesting psychopath with a winning smile. Would have helped to mechanically balance the class too if that was typified, giving them similar drawbacks to an Oathbreaker paladin etc.

Like, all other Bard colleges should hate you, and most relatively knowledgeable people (INT 15+) probably have some idea what you are and what you are capable of so your social DCs scale up due to that foreknowledge to avoid making every Persuasion check like ridiculously trivial. I mean, whats your minimum Persuasion roll at Tier 4? Something like 32 on a nat 1? If the Silver tongue and other features were considered generally prohibited techniques by most people a la necromancy I personally think it would be a much more interesting and socially engaging class to play. They aren't like something that is directly and kind of cheaply spooky through a frightened mechanic, but it would be rewarding to DMs and players if there was some drawback whenever you used your clearly magical speech to bend someone's freewill. Not as crippling as the ridiculous restrictions on Charm, and probably something like the effect still goes off but an insight check reveals that *something* exerted a mental influence on the target. Would make social challenges fun as the bard has to burn through escalating DCs that begin to challenge his bonkers persuasion ability, while interspersing his limited BIs to say unsettling words that make the target fail to realize he is being mentally broken.
    Last edited by Kenny_Snoggins; 2021-12-08 at 03:48 PM.