View Single Post

Thread: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

1. - Top - End - #148
    Ettin in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: 3.5e Batman Campaign (2.0)

He visibly tenses at being introduced as a young lad. Not for any good visible reason; he is both young, and a lad; and both undeniably. But he turns gunmetal grey eyes on Kate and Stephanie, and rakes them over with a stare that offers none of the contagious joy of youth that children in their best aspect exude. It's a look of distant displeasure; standing at best four and a half feet tall, but managing to look down at them. It's almost a patrician stare; almost distant because of the aristocratic aspect of his being. But it's more than that; the kind of look a clerk gives a ledger full of red ink. It evokes a sensation of being looked over, catalogued by part, and filed away in some dark cabinet stored behind those gunmetal eyes.

He cannot be more than ten years old.

"I must object again, Fox. Impressive as small successes might feel at this stage, I do not think it wise to rest so much of the estate's interests on such..."

That such does a lot of work, for a moment; holding the sentence open like the jaws of some beast dwelling in the tension, striving to snap shut on the pensive silence.

"...Hobbyists."

The child seems to settle on the word which, while insulting, seems to be an act of restraint on his part. The sharpness of his mind demonstrated in these few moments must enabled the grasping of much less kind instruments than that, and nothing about him suggests that he has been frontloaded with respect for either of the women before him. But he speaks again, in that fine, high voice of a child for whom mental maturity has come early and easy, while physical maturity languishes years away in delivery.

"Still. I am sure that incapacitating Raam's operation for the moment releases some tensions we are under; and that much deserves commendation. So..." With his left hand at rest on the pommel of what seems like a mostly ceremonial short sword on his left hip, the right comes up with a loose, splayed-finger roll of the wrist, as if scattering feed to pigeons. "I commend you." Like the previous appellation he bestowed upon him, this gesture comes with a manner that suggests he does not consider it as wildly insulting as it might otherwise be taken. Whatever pretence he is operating under, his commendation has dubious value regardless of how insincerely given it is, or is not. And the fact remains, as towering and brute as the boy is small and slim, that he is a child, and it is difficult to take him seriously.

Spoiler: Damien Wayne, Esquire.
    Show
    Last edited by MrAbdiel; 2021-12-14 at 09:33 AM.