Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
Well okay then.
To point out again the goal was that the 6th level channel divinity is primarily useful when the 2nd level channel divinity option fails to be. Just what to clarify that I'm not intentionally writing weaker material for the sake of writing weaker material.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
I mean, I still think it would be better off replaced, but forcing another creature to take an action sounds like something that should require a Wisdom saving throw. Just ask yourself "what if I, the DM, used this on the party?" I imagine a lot of players would be irate at being forced to attack their fellow party members with no way to stop it. Again, I can't think of any compulsion-style effects in 5E at all that don't allow a saving throw, mostly Wisdom. It would also assumedly add "creatures immune to the charmed condition are immune to this" which I'd also appreciate.

If you require a successful attack, I'd recommend allowing the Cleric to use the ability after they know they hit. Otherwise it's too restrictive again. Adding charmed for their next round seems fair, it's a mild add-on but the Cleric is in melee and would appreciate the breather.
It no longer feels necessary to deny the cleric the ability to do this on a miss. I also don't feel like the effect should last a full round. How's the following sound as a simplification of the concept?

Channel Divinity: Befuddling Blow
At 6th level, when you make a melee attack against a creature, you can use your Channel Divinity to force that creature to make a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by you until the end of your turn as wrest the knowledge of foe and friend from its mind. If a creature is charmed by you in this manner, you can force it to make a melee attack against a creature of your choice within its reach (no action required by you or the creature).

If this is too weak, extending the charmed duration to a whole round is probably the easiest fix.

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
Just to add my voice to the crowd that think that whilst fine, it doesn't scream "destruction".

I would expect spells like shatter, destructive wave, maybe getting cantrips like firebolt that can set things on fire.

I would expect abilities like doing siege damage to knock down buildings. Bonuses against constructs.

Buffing allies seems more constructive than destructive. There is nothing wrong with the result per se, just it doesn't match the name in my mind (and I know that the history and the aim is more than the name).
As mentioned above, some of this would end up overlapping pretty heavily with the Tempest Domain. Would it help to have gravity sinkhole and destructive wave replace control water and insect plague? But I do want to point out I included Chaos Bolt and Erupting Earth, as spells vaguely similar to shatter that aren't Tempest Domain Spells already.

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
I was imagining the effect it would have if the thread title was supposed to be taken literally.
"I found faith, a job and divine powers in this fight"
I suppose the description reads more like a violent anarchist than a runepriest.