1. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Installing any Linux on a TrekStor SurfTab duo W1?

Fedora is way more user friendly than plain Arch. But you'll see for yourself :)

As for fluxbox: It's a window manager without any bells and whistles.

Here's how the UI Stack in modern Operationg systems works (grossly oversimplified, of course):
    First, any OS boots into some kind of shell environment. The shell environment then starts a display server - Xorg or Wayland in Linux' case. The Display Server by itself is really dumb and cannot do more than display Pixels on arbitrary positions on the screen, and maybe give you a few rendering primitives like "A Box". Usually, OSes then start a Display Manager (DM) like the aforementioned LightDM - it's where you input your username and password, for example. This step is optional under Linux, but in 99% of use cases there's a DM involved - in KDEs case it used to be KDM and nowadays it's SDDM, if I recall correctly. GNOME has GDM, and Mint/Cinnamon uses LightDM by default, I think.
    The DM (or your Display Server directly) then starts what's called a Window Manager (WM for short). The WM takes care of all the window handling - multiple windows, Borders, Titlebars, minimizing, maximizing, all that stuff. KDE uses kwin as a window manager, GNOME uses iForget, and under windows this used to be explorer.exe (yes, the file manager. Don't ask...). Nowadays it's DWM under Windows, I think. Don't know what OSX/Mac uses.

Now, to complicate things further, KDE, Cinnamon and GNOME are what we call Desktop Environments (DEs): They provide a WM, a way to set the Desktop background, some fancy taskbars, tools and applets, maybe a file manager - they're designed to be whole suites of programs that give you a complete, unified desktop experience.

Fluxbox (and my aforementioned awesomewm*) are Window Managers - nothing more, nothing less. They handle window positioning, titlebars, keyboard input and not a whole lot else. In Fluxbox' case you can't even set the background - you'll need another tool for that. Fluxbox just provides window decorations and a taskbar and a right-click menu. This means it's very lightweight, since it doesn't install and launch a whole slew of extraneous tools. Each tool you want you'll have to install yourself - File Explorer, image viewer, Media Player, the works. That means it runs with a minimal overhead, but you'll loose a bunch of QoL features - no settings application, no way to configure tour displays etc.
    There are a few other simple WMs like e.g. OpenBox that don't even provide a taskbar, but I found fluxbox to be the most usable of the bunch for beginners. Just two config files to manage - one for keyboard shortcuts and one for the menu, and it's blazingly fast and has small overhead. Just doesn't look too pretty with no transparency and almost no animations like "fade this window in" etc.

*In addition to all that, the window managers have opinions on how to handle windows - down to the whole concept of "Windows" itself. Awesomewm for example is what we call a "tiling" window manager that arranges all windows side-by-side to make the most of your Desktop. You can't overlap windows in a tiling manager. One window is always full screen, two windows are always half screen, three are one half and two quarter screens etc. Fluxbox and the "regular" WMs like KDE etc are what are called "floating" or "stacking" window managers, since they allow the windows to overlap or stack. Both approaches have their up- and downsides, but I fell in love with tiling a few years back. The first two or three weeks HURT, but afterwards you'll never want to go back :)

Since we're in the same timezone I can walk you through the basics via Jistsi or so, if you want. Don't know when I'll be free tonight, but I have the whole day free tomorrow.
    Last edited by Whoracle; 2022-01-02 at 05:24 AM.