Quote Originally Posted by sandmote View Post
As mentioned above, some of this would end up overlapping pretty heavily with the Tempest Domain. Would it help to have gravity sinkhole and destructive wave replace control water and insect plague? But I do want to point out I included Chaos Bolt and Erupting Earth, as spells vaguely similar to shatter that aren't Tempest Domain Spells already.
I think that we would have to accept some overlap if we are going for a destruction theme.

I won't say its the right way, but rather my personal approach would be to start with the Tempest Cleric and look to differentiate.

Take the spells that overlap but look to add different abilities. So where the Tempest cleric is heavy armoured, I would go medium armour and cantrip boosts. Use some spells that were not around at the time the tempest cleric was generated - tidal wave, maelstrom, thunderclap (bonus cantrip - though if not melee focussed a limited boost in power), stormsphere, cloud kill, immolation, wrath of nature.

You could also do something like the Arcan Cleric does and as a capstone, provide access to more spells: I would suggest meteor swarm, Storm of vengeance, Earthquake, Tsunami, Firestorm, Whirlwind, Tenser's Transformation, Chain Lightning.

I wouldn't feel bad about giving more spells than the arcana cleric does because there is so much overlap between them and the strength of the roup of them averaged over all circumstances is probably a lot less powerful than the Arcana cleric's cherry picked spells.

That said, I can see that you have a vision for "destruction" that is somewhat different to my own (including I think, some references I don't get), so this is a personal view rather than something I think will match well.