Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
I feel like there are levels of the mainstream. Most people at least vaguely into "nerd culture" have probably heard of all the characters who got cartoons in the 90's/00's.

So on DC's end, the Justice League. On Marvel's end, Spider-Man, the X-Men, and Hulk. Even from the X-Men I'd only expect people to be able to recognize the "core team" on sight (Wolverine, Storm, Cyclops, Professor X, and maaaybe Jean Grey). The Marvel ones are all characters my mom knows, and she's never even picked up a comic book. She just really liked the X-Men cartoon and Spider-Man in general.

Those are the only comic book characters I would expect the average person to know.
In America, probably. But as far as I know, those cartoons only started to run over here after the MCU became a thing. Superhero shows here, in the 90s were (as far as I know) Lois & Clark and Batman the Animated Series. I'm not even sure where I knew Spiderman from, but probably just from merchandise? I don't remember ever seeing a Spider Man cartoon or comic as a kid.