I stumbled on to this thread since I occasionally lurk here, and I thought DD had ended a long time ago.

Having read the thread and then caught up on the comic, I think some (but not all) criticism of the new comic is intensified by the nature of waiting for the next update. For instance, I thought the boredom sequence was actually fairly well done but that’s because I could see what was there and then move on to the next bit. If I had caught up in the middle of that sequence or experienced it at the pace it was released at, it might have been much more tiresome. Forewarned about the sex scene, I was expecting much worse when I got to it, and then it was over (for me) a few strips later when at the release pace would have been a solid week at least.

I also think there has been some growth in the art, even if the style is still pretty crude. The characters are generally less stiff, more detailed, and more expressive than I recall classic DD being. The fleshbeast from early on was quite complicated and consistent with earlier panels when drawn from above.

I don’t think the strip is something I’ll be checking daily, but it’s not so bad I’ll never check it again either.