The sailors were lighting the lanterns on the deck as you departed, the sulfuric odor of the alchemical matches quickly swept away by the breeze billowing around the island base, in concert with the waves. The stony pier, about as wide as the tunnel it led to, (15') is solid, if not slippery from the layer algae that covered it.

As you proceed into the tunnel the light dims, throwing shadows down it's length though it remains sufficient for you to make out smooth and tooled edges of the carved passage. After a few hundred feat the passage begins to curve to the right and rise, after a full revolution passage opens into a cavernous chamber. A pool located in the center fills most of the cavern, it appears to be clear with a few cloudy sections near the bottom, with the visible sections being a pebbled floor. On both left & right sides of the pool partially built into the wall are a set of gates, built of bone, coral and vines.

You can see a series of figures ahead, between you and the edge of the pool, they are humanoid in appearance, but with grey & bluish hued skin, as you approach closer, you can make out fins on their joints and gills at their necks, with webbing between their fingers and toes. Several of them are wielding crossbows, other have tridents, and a few have nets & daggers.

The tallest of these figures raises a trident and shouts to you. Halt! You must prove yourselves free of the corruption of the mind that wracks your kind' afore we allow you pass thru our domain.

You may prove yourselves in 3 ways. - You may open either gate that borders the pool, such a task is impossible for one of corrupted mind, you may swim freely thru the water that burns to reach the other side, for if you can survive we cannot stop you, or you may meet me in combat of might & mind and I shall declare you worthy!

He stops, a leering smile curling on his lips, Any who fail shall surrender their lives to mine kin for us to do as we'd will. So take heart and heed my word, retreat, begone or be my next kill.