Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
It's a little strange to think jabba took over by sycophanting his way to the top and then killing the leader, but now he sleeps in a room full of sycophants
I think he actually inherited the position from his father, who inherited it from his father. Nepotism rather than schmoozing, he's from a powerful family, so he had the resources to stay powerful. It's not specified to my knowledge is his father was the leader of their clan before him, but given that one of his uncles is still alive and not in charge I'd say it's a safe bet in my opinion. Though it's possible it was under the leadership of his uncle Ebor, who died somehow and then Jabba's father took over, but all we know of Ebor is that Mama the Hutt liked him more than Ziro.

His grandfather, who is unnamed, was powerful enough among the Hutts that he had a record of all their illegal dealings that he kept with himself until he died, then had it hidden with his body.

Jabba's Uncle Ziro and his own nephew Gorga were both powerful and wealthy members of Jabba's clan, and I would assume he would intend to pass his holdings, illegal and legal, to his own son Rotta once he was old enough.