1. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: How can a Hexblade establish a relationship to patron

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Quester View Post
    To be more clear, I doubt I will have any influence over the identity of the patron. The official patron is “the hexblade” if we’re playing by the book, a “mysterious entity from the shadowfell”.

Given that, I’m trying to figure out a fun way to roleplay having a relationship with a potentially malevolent entity who may have an agenda that I’m obliged to advance, even though I may not want to be forced to do so.
    The Shadowfell is not inherently evil, but evil creatures are strong and plentiful there. Evil may be abundant but it is never stated that only evil beings ever reside in the Shadowfell.

Although a complete account of the Raven Queen's motivations and origins was not generally known, it was believed that she was originally a much beloved elf queen from the Feywild who witnessed the conflict between Corellon and Lolth. Worried that the dispute might tear the Seldarine asunder, she rallied her followers to perform a powerful ritual in order to become a deity, so she could have the leverage to appeal to the deities' senses.

I dont think that you have to enforce an evil entity being the Hexblade patron, it would be fully justified if you did though.

In the case of an explicitly evil patron, the question is what is its agenda? As long as the Warlock furthers this agenda, I dont see that the alignment of the patron makes any difference. Unless the patron is psychotic, it will not ask the Warlock to do openly damaging things, since such acts would obviously create hurdles in achieving its goals.

An evil entity would place value in appearing trustworthy and reliable, all the while quietly guiding the Warlock towards supporting its evil goals, possibly even by performing good deeds, or at least deeds that feel good. Acts of revenge against evil acts, could later turn out to cause greater evil, or overthrowing a merely oppressive ruler may create the vacuum that will enable enable a truly evil ruler to take control etc.
    Last edited by f5anor; 2022-01-20 at 02:45 AM.