1. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: ALPHA - IC - The Tone of Madness - Part 1

Nerine looked up at Morkhut with little hesitance and returned his question quickly, as if responding to a friends query. I realize that this "tone" is causing great harm, while it's been limited here, she gestures to the island with a hand, I can understand it being far more problematic on the main lands.[/B][/COLOR] Returning her gaze to the sign she frowned, I don't remember being able to read all of these lines last time, I knew there were 8 major paths, but I've only ever been able to read 3. She glanced around looking at the 7 path ways in turn, I recall that one is supposed to count from the tunnel we exited starting with the left most as #1. She spent a few minutes examining the sign - I'd recommend pursuing lines 4,6,& 7, avoid the ones mentioned in lines 3,5,8 and using 1 & 2 if more answers are needed.

The circular plaza is about 50 in diameter, with a large floor mosaic of the depicting major events & general artwork, there is the great battle of Halcynith, the comets of Arakesh, a solar eclipse, pictures of the island & ships travelling to & from, & a storm fire and light and many others.

The path directly to the left of the exited tunnel lies due East, the light posts along it are extinguished and some of the road stones have been churned up.
    The next path is well lit, and appears untouched, in fact moss has grown over many of the stones as though the path is travelled infrequently.
    The third path is has no lit posts, but appears undamaged, and a bit narrow.
    The 4th path (opposite of your exit) is also well lit, though the vegetation on either side appears to be slightly overgrown.
    The 5th path is is brightly lit, with new & old lamps alike, there are several piles of rubble that have been swept into piles and appears to be in the midst of being cleaned up.
    The 6th path is perfectly leveled with stone worn and shaped into a smooth path, mage lights hang in the air revealing large scratches in the smooth rocky surface.
    The final path is a deer trail through a cluster of tightly packed trees, it is unlit, but there doesn't appear to be any light poles.

Spoiler: The Sign
    Show
    The sign is made of carved marble with inlays of gold & silver bordering the edges, the words are hewn into the rock and have clearly been etched for some time.

There are 8 large lines, each with smaller lines beneath them.

Down the path most grand, reside those who understand, all that is to be, events not yet come, but shall indeed occur.
    Be warned all thee who proceed down this route, questions with answer more than one shall begin a confusing pursuit.
    Believe not a word from the one who speaks not in verse, for their only goal is to see you work in reverse

Down the path most serene, reside those whose bond with nature, is greater than those of any other in this vast marine, when entering their abode be warned of the soil with excess moisture.
    5 shrines along the way you shall pass, one would do well to check the grass.
    At roads end shall you soon arrive, but recall the path's number should you wish to survive.

Out along the island's edge shall 3rd path creep, it will test your balance above the briny deep, with stoic gait & iron grip, knowledge of the divine await those who take this trip.
    Short and quick the route may be, but surviel above for treachery
    As is with all things - as above as is below.

Down the hole of shadows and secrets live those with secrets not to tell, with blood & meat alone shall you coax the oracle from her shell.
    Take from us this hint, for those who pay in blood & gold, all shall be revealed - upon thine flesh the answer will imprint.
    A price, a cost, a gift of gold, all of these for truths untold, to you alone the secret given, struggle not or be rended whilst shriven.

Along the Sun's first path answers abound, from places to names & farway planes ask only for things that can be travelled to & found.
    No tribute or trial for one without burden, what were saying is leave your weapons for those who are uncertain.
    A trick it is not nor trap may it be, scared of weapons this oracle be, sheathed or stowed it makes not a hoot, don't bring your arms or recieve the boot.

Along the final but path but one lies one of greed for gold, twice the price he will charge, yet he's often visted by and large.
    On matters of magic he does remit, ancient, arcane, divine and more of all of it he knows.
    Pay him more per query posed and he shall answer still, but ask not questions exceeding five if you hope to leave alive.

Straight out and ahead you may proceed, if by chance you wish to have the answers to succeed.
    Neither time of day or season past determine likelihood - its by fickle fate alone whether an answer is good
    For those who who travel without guide or guard, take this path for untested is the boulevard.

All paths but one of have been written and listed, save for one, for who cares about details past & done. Mysteries of the past lay dead & hidden, but come to this oracle when bidden.
    This knowledge is not for those of empty minds or those thoughts frequent flutter, to learn my secrets, you must remember that which is frequent
    What mistakes & choices do all make that ends with sobs or rejoices? What events prosper as death becomes a merchant lord & what compels it Pride, Greed or Sword?

Spoiler: For Morkhut
    Show
    The sign has residual magic from permanence & several protective spells effects, however these seem to be temporarily suppressed or dispelled at the moment.

Spoiler: Edit - Significant
    Show
    Edit - Modified the last line of Nerine's dialogue about the paths - the way I'd originally written it could be terribly misinterpreted based on my (now prior) word choice. The correct phrasing is now above.
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2022-01-26 at 06:32 PM. Reason: Formatting