Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
Emperor is explicitly a non gendered term. There's been female kings in real life too. This isn't me trying to make it "woke" or anything, it is literally the description of the word.

Additionally, since this set is based in a Japan inspired setting, it should follow those rules... where, again, Emperor is not a gendered term.

And, even if it WAS; in Kamigawa it's not a gendered term, by the actual text. So yeah.
Sort of. So Emperor comes from Imperator which was very gendered. And to my knowledge it’s shifting use throughout Europe remained gendered while there were emperors in actual power. With figures like Maria Theresa explicitly not getting the male Emperor title, because of her gender and that leading to a whole bag of problems.

But in China and Japan, my understanding is their term for Emperor was also gendered, but that did not stop females from taking the male gendered title for themselves. There were several explicitly female “emperors.” Or more accurately Huangdi. That western authors just call emperors.

Please correct me if I made a mistake there.