Spoiler
Show
Quote Originally Posted by ResidentScribe View Post
New Beginning

Maxson couldn't believe what he had just openly admitted to the Faun butwhat she said next didn't help him one bit. "you should focus on the chance you have now" She said, it wasn't what she said that hit him hardest, it was the guilt of having that opportunity. Surely if anyone it should have been Signe, yes he always had feelings for Reuma, lord only knows if she ever knew how he felt. He remembered the day he was going to tell Signe how he felt only to see the two together. He was always a little slow to act in that reguard, not the brightest tool in the shed but he was only meant to be a blunt instrument afterall. He snapped from his internal thoughts as Rein asked about the bond. "It's actually something to do with my race, its called imprinting. It can happen over time or in an instant, it grows with intensity over time, sharing emotions, sensations, thoughts its very intimate" He explained as he relaxed a little. "Other species might call it being soul mates" He added before going back to his broth.

As Reuma explained her situation he couldn't help feel sorry, she was absolutely being scammed if what she was saying was accurate. Though, her comments about adventuring and that playful wink, oh yeah, that was jealousy he felt again. It didn't last long, the guilt of feeling it crept back in. "S..so, we're all in the same boat... or ship, given the size" He said to himself as he pondered. "I'll have to take a look around once I'm back on my feet" Though as Rein flirted back, the spoon in his hand buckled in his grip. "Hah... yeah that sure sounds great" He added as he quietly straightened the spoon back in his palm. "What sort of treasures do you usually go after then?" He asked the adventurer once his spoon was somewhat back to normal.
Quote Originally Posted by Aurora Alchemi View Post
New Beginning

Rein's reaction to the magic gains a curious look from the faun, but there is also a slightly smug devious streak that crosses the little pronghorn's face. Running from emotions, drinking, self abuse? Ohho it looks like another fun case. For a moment, the faun is lost in the thoughts of both good and evil plans for that information, but then the observant faun is brought back in to the conversation as it shifts about. Maxson seems to be happy to help the explanation along as well, but it's pretty clear that he is having his own internal troubles. Of course, that wasn't something Reuma wanted to step too hard into, so she left it at what she had already said. At least the conversation moving toward discussing imprinting seemed to distract him some. "It's actually pretty wild when you can sense the weave. It's not like someone has two souls or spirits in a single body, per say.... But almost as if the person's very nature always has a link to whoever they are imprinted on. There's also some really old magic tucked in there, like their ancestors are still there in the bond too."

The faun pauses briefly, swallowing a bit more of the stew, then stretching ever so slightly, using the motion to walk her chair over to Maxson so that the soft green glow from her horns can shower him with a bit of calming happiness. "It's kinda like how my ancestors left their mark on satyrlyrri, but in a different way. While the lyrri sort of evolved and changed themselves in tune with their magic, it seems like the Ulfen solidified their community." The statement is bittersweet, and from the tone it's pretty clear that there wasn't too much of a community to speak of for Reuma's species. "I suppose if I thought about it, I was probably gonna be trying to learn the Ulfen traditions, like the first hunt and your travels, at least after I finished piecing together what's left of the groveseekers." Reuma smiles softly at Maxson. "We can go find a library or museum and work on that together if you want, sometime."

As the conversation takes another turn, Reuma finds herself drawn into Rein's words. "Adventures all the time??! Oh, I would love to come along. There's so many new things to document, places to see..." The faun's ear flicks, and she looks to the side to see the final part of Maxson's work unbending his utensil. "Huh? Maxson..." There is a pause, and the faun's large hazel eyes search Maxson's face with confusion, the medic never having seen a really jealous side of the wolf. Maybe it was just trauma and he didn't want to hear about adventures so soon? "You... ok? We... could talk about these things somewhere else and give you some piece and quiet if you want..." Reuma's ears flatten back, looking almost like she's been scolded, horns crackling slightly with sadness. It's all got the air of someone plopping a jar over a butterfly, as if Reuma was used to a Maxson that was much more confident in their relationship and allowed the medic to dance amongst the eddies of sociality. "I mean, maybe I'll get you a room, and..." Though it was clear that Reuma still cared for the Ulfen, for the first time in a long time it seemed like Reuma was ready to make an excuse and bolt... from Maxson. "Maybe I can help with some magic item research, Rein? I've got a whole sense to 'see' magic anyways... haha." The laugh is somewhat halfhearted and awkward.

[New Beginning]

Reinholdt holds back a snort as Maxson uses the term 'soul mates'. But only just barely. He looks ready to comment on the subject, but a quick reminder of Maxson's size and muscles keeps Rein from mentioning his opinion on soul mates. It clearly meant a lot to the Ulfen, so he could just leave it at that. Didn't sound like anything that'd ever matter to him anyways. He can't help but make a face when Reuma elaborates though. "I don't think I want my ancestors around anywhere or anything when I'm busy bonding with someone else. They can go back to hanging in the afterlife." Rein's about as fond of his ancestors as they are of him. Something about crimes against the family.

Sounds like there was more history there for Reuma and Maxson too. Some kind of cultural divide propagated by their own ancestors? Unintentionally perhaps? Hard to say and not his place to. So he focuses on the one thing he can comment on without being intrusive. "Wait, so there's actually a difference between boats and ships?" Rein had no idea! He is not a fan of water adventures. There's a lot of spooky things in the water.

"I don't particularly limit myself to one kind of treasure. Otherwise I'd be the jewel thief extraordinaire or the amazing wand collector or golden idol Jim or something. Nobody wants to be stuck as Jim." Rein shakes his head in distaste for the idea. "I mean obviously at this point the more exotic and magical hold more interest for me. They're just inherently more fun to abuse recklessly. I mean, sure I can abuse a golden, jewel encrusted egg pretty easily, but the stuff that also has some uniquely utilitarian uses get to come out and play more." Reinholdt shrugs a little. "But like I said, I'm not too picky." It's just a matter of finding a questgiver hanging around wearing mysterious hoods and having dubious motives. Rein gives a quick glance around the tavern to see if anyone qualifies.

But his eyes quickly dart back between Maxson and Reuma. The atmosphere suddenly got very tense. Like Reuma was waiting for Maxson to break the table in half or something. Why? He said he was interested in adventuring too! Rein rubs the back of his head. Maybe they got too wrapped up in that soul bonding imprinting business. Rein knew it was bad news the moment he heard soul mates. Well, he's not about to let anything like UNIVERSAL DESTINY stop him.
Again.

With a flick of his wrist, Rein conjures a golden medallion engraved in runes and stylized engraving of the sun. "I'm always in need of a magic detector I can turn on at will. Maybe you can tell me what this does?" He asks, sliding the medallion across the table to Reuma. It's a nifty magic item. This jewelry will allow the bearer turn into fire at will. This renders the owner immune to physical attacks and allowing him or her to absorb fire attacks and unleash it back at the attacker at twice the original strength. Of course, one downside is you're on fire. And fire does tend to spread.