View Single Post

Thread: Wrath of the Righteous: The Video Game

1. - Top - End - #426
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous: The Video Game

While I respect disliking Regill, I do feel I should defend him to some degree.

Spoiler: Why I like the Hellknight.
    Show
    First, I should point out that he comes by his Lawful Evil alignment legitimately. The game doesn't care about intentions, only about actions, and Regill supports slavery (as long as it's done 'properly'), and is pragmatic to a fault: he has no problem sacrificing anyone - anyone - if it means improving the odds of ending the Worldwound. This means that if the enemy is looking to take prisoners, he'll kill the wounded (but not dying) to do keep them from getting what they want. That said, I've never seen an evil character that is nearly so... genuine.

Despite being evil and having seemingly zero personal inclinations towards good (finding such inclinations to be laughably inefficient at best and farcically suicidal at worst), on the side of good. He reveres Iomede (even though she's LG). Yes, she's part of the Godclaw that he worships, but he still openly values her opinion. He is openly pleased if you take the Angel path, claiming that your angelic nature is already a significant win against the demons. Of course, he also praises a Lich, saying that corpses are a resource that makes sense to exploit. If he's convinced the Commander's the best chance for the crusade, he'll sacrifice everything he has (even his life if need be) to make sure the Commander has the Hellknights on their side, without any reservation.

And it's not an act. None of the classic evil motivations are at play. He doesn't enjoy bloodshed, and he doesn't expect nor desire any form of gain for his actions. Any advancement he makes is only desirable if it advances the crusades, so despite his rank he still serves as a field officer (by his own desire). Heck, Arueshalae outright says during a camping conversation that Regill is the only member of the party (does this include Ember?) that does not harbor any lust for her, ironically making the LE anti-demon zealot the only person she actually feels comfortable around. Of course, Regill takes this revelation as a personal insult, as the only feeling a demon should feel in his presence is FEAR, damn it!

As for actual usefulness, I assumed he was really bad, but that was because I'd misinterpreted the Maximum Dexterity Bonus rule. I thought that was a general rule not a specific one. As in, if you had 20 Dex and put on full plate, you only get one point of AC from your Dex. Which is true. Then equip a bow, and you only get 1 point of Dex bonus to your attack with that bow. This is false. I don't know if this means I've always been wrong or they just didn't implement their rules like that for a video game, but this means you can still have a Dex fighter in adamantine full-plate. Kinda MAD and feat heavy, but it is still perfectly viable. He's a very dangerous combatant as well an intriguing take on an evil companion.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2022-02-23 at 11:34 AM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.