View Single Post

Thread: Wrath of the Righteous: The Video Game

1. - Top - End - #449
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Default Re: Wrath of the Righteous: The Video Game

Spoiler: On This Issue
    Show
    Anevia was caught in a no-win scenario. A serial killer is picking off her men, and turns out to be not only a part of her boss's inner circle but also (for this very reason) a mythic empowered warrior who is conceivably on the high end of character level in the crusade. Killing her is potentially practically impossible for her and her men as long as she's drawing power from the Commander, and she has absolutely no idea how that walking death machine known as the Commander is going to react when told one of their sidekicks is doing some extracurriculars. Will they be dismissive? Pissed? At whom? Anevia desperately needed the Commander to discover the situation with as little bias as possible ahead of time, and then just follow the decision. She accepts the Commander's judgment regardless of whether they slaughter Camillia on sight or approve of the killings and spend the next however long helping her "vent her stress".

Speaking of which, did you know that, if you allow her to complete her ritual and are male, you can sleep with her in that cellar, then walk out and order Anevia to kill her? That's screwed up.

Utterly unrelated, but has anyone explored the romances of the game much?
    Spoiler
    Show
    So far, I've only played through Arueshalae, Wenduag, and Galfrey. I've read up on Camillia and Daeran as well.

Annoyingly, I like Arueshalae's the most. I mean, it's just a simple and sweet story, and Arue herself is just an ungodly useful character (great stats, archery, AND a skill monkey). The part that galls me is that most of her character growth isn't related to the romance, so I find romancing her is something of a waste. Still, I did find it hilarious that she literally threw herself in prison for being too attracted to the Commander.

Wenduag is extremely frustrating if you want to redeem her. You have to do everything just right, and that includes indulging her darker nature more than I felt was healthy. Add in the fact that the meaningful bit of her redemption is only an extra sentence in an epilogue card, staying evil throughout the playable time. On the other hand, she can grow quite a lot through her romance and it's also quite amusing how Wenduag (who readily describes kissing as disgusting) can kiss the Commander in a panic while they're dying of poison and then beat herself up after the fact when she realizes that would have never actually worked.

Galfrey is pretty... meh. It was kinda cool having her as an ally for the final chapter, but she's not mechanically all that different from the sword&board paladin I've had since level 1 and she didn't contribute anything banter-wise. Still, I did think it was pretty cool that (at least in my playthrough) she quit the throne to hang with the Commander, which I didn't think was a possible outcome.

Camellia doesn't have any good outcomes, as far as I know. She is driven to kill the people she loves most of all, so any romance with her will only end with her either committing suicide by Commander or putting as much distance between the two to avoid the temptation to do something pointedly stupid.

Daeran supposedly CAN become good during a romance, but I'm not certain if it's an in-game alignment change like Arueshalae or an epilogue-only one like Wenduag. Next time I do a run (I'm thinking Aeon), he'll probably be it, because I find his commentary amusing and his situation narratively compelling. Like Regill, he uses evil as a tool, but (unlike the Hellknight) takes it to heart much more.

I just don't have time for Lann and Sosiel, however. I like the characters quite a bit, (especially dad-joking Lann) but don't feel their romance stories would add meaningfully to either of them.

Anyone else have an opinion?
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2022-02-25 at 12:07 PM.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.