Quote Originally Posted by J-H View Post
How long do X-com missions/scenarios take each?
It can vary a bit, but I think most are like 20 - 30 minutes, bar save scumming. You can also save in the middle of a battle, so getting locked in to a super long slog isn't an issue. If you go for XCOM, I think either Enemy Within or War of the Chosen is the way to go; I think I'd suggest Enemy Within slightly ahead of the sequel,, which is a bit overstuffed. I'd anti-recomme d Chimera Squad, it's built around a single gimmick, and I found the characters to be just horribly annoying in a chirpy, bantering way that made me hope they all died quickly and above all quietly.

That said, if you're leaning towards XCOMish games, I think there's more engaging options out there. Gears Tactics has a much more flexible and dynamic tactical layer, a more character focused story, and removes the nearly vestigial strategy layer. Phoenix Point goes the other way and doubles down on making the strategy layer an actual strategy layer, and uses a touch of simulationism to get rid of like 99% of XCOM wtf rng moments. I personally really liked Othercide, which is extremely abstract, slightly to massively masochistic depending on your difficulty, and has a much more engaging turn structure.

If you want straightforward fantasy, I really enjoyed The Dungeon of Nauheulbek. It's definitely an RPG with set characters, and XCOM like combat adapted for melee. If you enjoy lowbrow comedy the story is pretty funny.

In a similar vein, but more serious, I had a good time with Solasta: Crown of the Magister, which is just straight 5th Edition D&D in videogame form. Works very well, and makes excellent use of a videogame's ability to do elevation easily. Do note that you play ad an entirely custom party, si there isn't a lot in the way of major character interactions or stuff like that.

I also liked the Blackguards games from a number of years ago, they're also RPG ports, but using The Dark Eye as a starting point instead of D&D. Think D&D, but with a lot of weird little simulationesque detail, and massively nerfed wizards. There's a lot of focus on environmental interaction in the combat as well, which I always find awesome.