Quote Originally Posted by animorte View Post
This whole thing was really cool and so very much appreciated. Though I forgot to mention his second most spoken thing is, "I hit hard." haha
That's a lot of extra detail that really gives something to work off of. I wanted to wait until I presented it to him to respond. It gave him a place to start trying to put emotion into the character and get a better feel for RP. Knowing where you come from certainly helps in making decisions. In George's specifically - as you presented - the DM greatly appreciated the extra background to help make his presence more relevant. He's letting me run the one-shot that brings us to the town with the temple and reuniting with some old friends. I'm excited! Thanks again.
I threw a donate and yt sub your way! Definitely keep up the wonderful content and I hope more people see your Backgrounds & Origins series.
Thank you. I like to weave things in that a DM can use. For example, the ultimate fate of George's father is unknown - yes, he turned on his father (or did he?) - so could his father turn up and cause some problems? Sure! And the little girl, who grows up a few years later, could be a nice NPC to revisit or use as some form of quest.

I enjoy character backgrounds, because it puts me into the mind of the character. I understand their motives and desires. They're no longer just stats rolling dice.

And thanks for the YT sub! (Feel free to tell your party about this great new YT channel that's just starting out and needs more subs!) :D

Quote Originally Posted by Barebarian View Post
I request a red dragonborn monk, high in Strength, Wisdom and Intelligence, maybe with Dexterity, Constitution and Charisma at 14.
For her background I'm thinking she's a wandering warrior trying to learn more about the world, Nature, the Creator (her world is monotheistic) and martial arts, while protecting people and churches, but I haven't got many ideas besides that :/
Here's another one, for ya! :)
It's not too long - but I wanted to leave the door open (if you're using this character) as to what their past was, and focus on the fact that they're a Red Dragonborn, and the downside of being "good" and having red dragon scales - and leaving that mysterious past WIDE open for a DM to do something with.
Hope you enjoy - and always - I would love to hear comments in the thread!
==========================

I’ve grown up, feared most of my life, simply because of my appearance. Being born a Dragonborn of the Red Scales doesn’t bring about a sense of ease in the people whom I walk next to on the street. Most give me a wide berth, because of I am both dragonborn, and more so, because of the red scales. I have faced this sense of prejudice all of my life.

I don’t blame them, as Red Dragons are notoriously known as some of the most powerful and evil Dragons in all of the world; so each person that sees the glint of red of my scales sparkling under the velvet moonlight, assumes that the same evil intentions reside in me.

Truth be told, that might have been the case had I not awakened in the Monastery. There are pieces of my past – fragmented in my mind, like a puzzle scattered across the floor. I try to recall the memories, put the pieces back where they belong – but so many pieces are missing. When I asked the Monks about who I was, they only told me that I arrived on their doorstep gravely wounded – with cuts to my chest, and a large wound to my head. They had debated helping me, because, as I said, people see the red scales and always assume the worse.

Truth is, they might have been right. I can’t even remember what my life was like before I woke up in the Monastery. But the Monks, the Order of Mir – a Monastery dedicated to peace and soothing of the soul. As I slowly recovered, I began learning from them – because truth be told, I couldn’t remember what I was before – and I just needed some kind of purpose; something to focus on while I tried to piece together who I was.

That was ten years ago that I showed up on the doorsteps of the Mir Monastery, and truth be told, I don’t care who or what I was before. This new life, as a Monk, as a Dragonborn of peace, is my new life. This is who I am now.

But there is a lingering shadow, always behind me, as to who I was; what I was. And I can’t help that one day, that past is going to catch up to me and I won’t like what I learn about who I was before…