It's particularly funny to me because a lot of the diverse approaches come from similar sources.

Mor'Lag, Isaera, Emilia, and Marion ALL have been ousted from their devastated homelands and the massacre and are trying, in some fashion, to figure out how life goes on after all that. And Jakk'ari's people had their homeland devastated many many generations ago, and they never really got up off the mat; just slowly managed their dwindling influence and power. In a sense, he's older than the rest of the group in a civilizational sense because everyone else is adjusting in to a new reality where their tribe, nation, or what have you has been smashed to atoms, denuding the survivors of any sense of inherited power or safety. Jakk'ari is Old-Man-Troll-Empire, wringing his hands and saying "Aw buddies, I wish I could say it gets easier; but you can at least get tougher."

Specifically with Marion and Isaera, Alterac is probably viewed with more hostility than Qual'Thalas by most alliance folks, but neither are exactly popular in the Alliance; and both ended up devestated by the scourge (though Alterac was pre-devestated by an Ottoman-style carve-up of interests, and enough of its people probably fled to start new lives that their destruction at the hands of the scourge could be called less catastrophic than Qual'Thalas.)

But Marion comes out the other side of this, having grown up forever with a sense that her family had the trappings of power and safety but never really had it; and her conclusion, in my observation, is something like "I will never allow myself to be put in such a position of vulnerability, no matter what." Which manifests as frontloaded, almost hostile expectation towards people and groups who have an established history of threat.

Isaera, whose ancient capital has been devastated and whose people lost something like nine out of ten living members, seems to me to have come away with a conclusion like "I cannot expose the people I love to this kind of harm again." Which manifests, at least in this situation, as a first instinct towards trying to do as little as possible to provoke a conflict with an enemy who can theoretically be reasoned with.

That's how I read it all, anyway.