1. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: What Are You Playing 6: DLCs of Kevin Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I would argue that O&S are still harder than all of those other than 4 Kings, but that's besides the point.

O&S don't have a reputation as a bad boss, or even one with BS boss design. They have their reputation because they are a massive stepchange in power from the earlier bosses in Dark Souls 1, and the only solution is to "git gud". If you've beaten Dark Souls 3, you have already "gotten gud" and O&S's reputation is a bit of a letdown. Their reputation at the time the game came out was absolutely deserved, because people were spending many hours trying and failing to beat them. On my original playthrough I was forced to break my "I'll do it myself" rule and summon in another player for help. That's not something which was required for any of the later bosses, because by the time I fought them I was better at the game and had better gear.
    I mean I've played Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, some of Nioh 2 and haven't gotten past O&S before Elden Ring. After Elden ring...maybe I could take them on? I've managed to get them to second phase by killing Smough a few times because if I'm getting any armor is Ornsteins, no question. but ER gives you a big advantage with the spirit ashes to just solve a dual boss fight by making it a 2v2, so I might not have learned how to beat them even after all that. and I'm not sure how many people still play DS1 after Elden Ring came out.

and another problem is that in my experience, knowing how to dodge faster bosses in soulbornes doesn't necessary help with slower ones, because slower bosses have a different rhythm and you need to match yourself to that rhythm to properly dodge their attacks, because if you don't you end up rolling too early and they catch you in their strike because the i-frames happened early. so even if later bosses are faster or scarier than O&S, that doesn't necessarily mean I have the experience to beat them specifically. that and my resources are different in DS1 than in ER so I don't have access to the same advantages that could allow me to beat them in ER.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2022-04-10 at 01:23 PM.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".