Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
I mean I've played Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, some of Nioh 2 and haven't gotten past O&S before Elden Ring. After Elden ring...maybe I could take them on? I've managed to get them to second phase by killing Smough a few times because if I'm getting any armor is Ornsteins, no question. but ER gives you a big advantage with the spirit ashes to just solve a dual boss fight by making it a 2v2, so I might not have learned how to beat them even after all that. and I'm not sure how many people still play DS1 after Elden Ring came out.

and another problem is that in my experience, knowing how to dodge faster bosses in soulbornes doesn't necessary help with slower ones, because slower bosses have a different rhythm and you need to match yourself to that rhythm to properly dodge their attacks, because if you don't you end up rolling too early and they catch you in their strike because the i-frames happened early. so even if later bosses are faster or scarier than O&S, that doesn't necessarily mean I have the experience to beat them specifically. that and my resources are different in DS1 than in ER so I don't have access to the same advantages that could allow me to beat them in ER.
Ah, so it's not just "get past O&S", it's "get past O&S the hard way". It is much easier to beat Ornstein first because he's faster and more aggressive and so will be next to you more, and his empowered moveset is harder than Smoughs. IIRC Ornstein also has much better resistance to slash damage which is what most of us end up using because swords are cool.