1. - Top - End - #147
    Banned

Default Re: What Are You Playing 6: DLCs of Kevin Bacon

Played a bit of Godfall which managed to hold my attention just long enough to get me out of the 2 hour refund window. Mostly because I left it sitting idle for a bit. There's the bones for a good game there somewhere, but they didn't bother to put any actual meat on those bones. The "loot" is all of the boring "same thing you already have but with a higher number" variety. The story is...fine? I'm past the first mission and I'm still not entirely sure who I am or what my motive is other than that my brother is evil and I have to stop him. Generic, but ok. The game also requires you to be online, which annoys me in a single player game.

The biggest problem is with the "difficulty". Which is to say there isn't any. I'm not sure who this game was designed for. Maybe blind people with no hands? Who also don't play video games? Because I'm pretty sure you could gum the controller with your mouth and still get through the map. At one point I sat my controller down mid-combat with three enemies to answer the door. When I came back several minutes later I was still alive. My dog had knocked the controller under the bed, but I was able to click the mouse button a few times and win the fight. At one point I fought a boss and the game warned me I'd be "punished harshly" if I missed my parries. When I actually missed a parry because the boss went off-camera it did about...10% of my health? Ignoring the fact that I also had heals...so maybe 1/30th of my total health pool? I get that not every game has to be Dark Souls, but you have to at least give me a reason to pay attention to the screen!

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Nice! I started Elex 2 before backtracking to 1, and it definitely picks up the looming threat from the word go. No save game importing or anything like that though, canon ending for Elex 1 is joining the Berserkers, and romancing Caja.

Speaking of which, I decided to take a bit of an Elex break and fired up Godfall again, because I wanted something very mindless. Godfall does not disappoint on that front, it's just running around and stabbing dudes in the world's shiniest corridors. The stabbing is good too, there's a mechanic where light attacks queue up extra damage on a guy that you then trigger all at once with a heavy attack. If this kills them, they explode due to your awesomeness. In a game that contained challenge, this would be added depth, in Godfall its just a flex, and it feels great.

Actually the combat overall feels great. Attacks are fast, movement is fast, the dodge and parry windows are generous, it's just total player power trip.
    Just saw your post after making my own. Yeah, I can totally see the "power trip" aspect. I can see why someone might want it, but it's not my cup of tea. I knew from reviews that the game was easy, but I didn't expect it to be completely mindless. I think I'll try to see if Steam will give me a refund even though I'm barely over 2 hours. I did enjoy how shiny the corridors were though.
    Last edited by Anteros; 2022-04-12 at 12:08 AM.