Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
So I recently decided to write one of my characters as if he was voiced by Mako Iwamatsu, drawing influence from his depiction of Iroh.

Which made me go back into The Last Airbender for a bit...

...Yeah, looking back at Sozin's commit part 1, where Toph mentions how she never got a "life-changing field trip" with Zuko and tries to talk with him about her feelings regarding her parents in hindsight after finding out how her relationship with her kids went in Legend of Korra...

Yeah, probably could have used that field trip. Probably would have prevented some issues down the line.

(Admittedly, even if the timing wasn't terrible "my parents gave me everything I ever asked for but I never felt like they loved me" is kind of a **** thing to say to the boy who knows for a fact that his father never loved him and has the burn scar to prove it.)
The purpose of those trips was for Zuko to establish trust between them, though. Aang, Katara, and Sokka were all deeply involved with Zuko from the very first episode, and he had been hunting them specifically. Toph just showed up later and didn't have the same connections. She didn't even have the same connections that the others did to firebenders in general, since they wiped out all Air Nomads and decimated the Water Tribes, especially the Southern one. The other three all had deep-seated personal issues with both Zuko as Zuko and with Zuko as a Fire Nation prince, and those trips established that he was not who he was before and was indeed an ally. Toph didn't really need that.