View Single Post

Thread: Is It OK?

1. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Is It OK?

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixPhyre View Post
    If you have a result you need to happen, don't give the choice in the first place or only give the options that lead to the acceptable results. Giving an apparent choice and then negating it under the table isn't ok in my book.

There doesn't always need to be a choice. Sometimes things happen. It's best if those are transparent consequences of someone's actions and follow from the game rules and fiction. But transparent "at this point, X happens"(cutscene style, where the players know they can't interfere) is better than pretending they have a choice. But needs to be used sparingly.
    Gonna echo this. If you don't want there to be a choice, don't give one.

----
    There have been corner cases where a player will "make a choice" before I'm done setting up a scene or describing the situation, and then they get upset that I denied them that option when I finish describing what in front of them.

The choice never really existed, so it couldn't be made. The fact that the player jumped the gun is their problem, not mine.
    Last edited by False God; 2022-04-17 at 03:23 PM.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."