Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
I as a DM feel free to veto disruptive actions, and I will explain my reasoning unless doing so will spoil the adventure
Can you explain what you mean by disruptive actions?

Quote Originally Posted by Vahnavoi View Post
Didn't we just have this thread?
We did not. We did have a thread that discussed some portion of this behavior, but it also utilized like seven different definitions of one word and several different sub-conversations.

I'm trying to figure out the core philosophies and play style of folks who think this behavior is OK, and use that to see if I can identify traits of GM's I would not want to play with, or who would not enjoy having me at the table.

Quote Originally Posted by icefractal View Post
I think the OP needs to be more clear what's meant by "nullify player choices". Because I can think of at least five meanings that could apply, and the answer is different depending which one (and the circumstances, obviously).
Let's go through them!

1) Action Prohibition
Player: I stab the king!
GM: No you don't, your character doesn't do that.
Yep.

2) Hard Negation
GM: The BBEG casts Teleport and he's gone.
Players: While under Dimensional Anchor, and standing next to a guy with Mage Slayer?
GM: Yeah, he just does. Power of plot!
Yep.

3) Soft Negation
Player: I use Detect Evil
GM: (knowing that the BBEG doesn't actually have a way to block this) Um ... no evil detected.
GM: *makes mental note to later claim the BBEG always wears anti-divination charms*
Yep.

4) Hard Meta Negation
Player: I'm going to make a really stealthy spy type.
GM: Ok.
GM: *makes anything important be guarded by un-bluffable guards with special senses that can't be snuck past*
Yep.

5) Soft Meta Negation
GM: ... and so you'll need to seek out the reclusive sage Zagyg and convince him to translate this.
Player: Oh, no need, I actually know Ancient Thassilonian
GM: Huh ... well, you read it and it ... partially describes where the portal is, but it has some references to the 'Cycle of Stars' that the directions don't make sense without. You'll need to seek out the other reclusive sage ... Zyzag ... and convince him to show you the scrolls.
Eh, maybe. There's a lot of grey areas with this one.

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post
*scratches head*
Trying to figure out why this thread isn't a dupe of this thread
Is this one of those "that thread got me thinking about this subset of that larger set of things we were talking about " threads, or, did something come up during play recently?
This is a, "that thread got me thinking about how to avoid unpleasant gaming experiences with people who would not enjoy having me at the table, and with whom I would not enjoy gaming." I'm trying to figure out the core philosophies and play style of folks who think this behavior is OK, and use that to see if I can identify traits of those GMs.