View Single Post

Thread: Share your pantheons!

1. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Share your pantheons!

Quote Originally Posted by vasilidor View Post
    Switching over to spheres of power, made things easier.
    And gods may be gone, but ideals do remain.
    My current own world is a variation on the World of Greyhawk (which map I use) that has Forces and Philosophies as the power base for clerics. A given culture can worship The Storm or venerate The Truth, and sometimes they even give it a name.

This allows me to flex and tailor how a cleric PC (and for that matter NPCs) manifests their class features. If they want a named god or goddess, we can make that work and if they don't I have a way of interacting with them on a deity to character basis.

What I don't do is C&P the laundry basket full of gods from WoG AD&D 1 or 2e, nor 3e, because there are Too Freaking Many deities and I don't want to be bothered to manage them.

Beyond that, cults are all over the place worshipping various powers that may be in The Void, an Elemental (to include the cult of Elemental Evil), a devil, a demon, or even a Celestial.

There is at least one cult worshipping the Titan/Empyrean (named Lagerael) whose domain is the harvest as well as brewing and distilling beer, wine and whisky. He's not Dionysus but he is chaotic. He embodies the ideal that "{deity} made beer because he loves us and wants us to be happy" (falsely attributed to Ben Franklin). Over time I have developed two sacred intonations, two different catch-phrases, among his officials and clerics:

1. "In the name of the barrel, and of the foam, and of the holy nectar" is intoned as one closes out a ceremony, a prayer, a decree, a judgment, or a blessing. It is also used as part of a formal greeting among adherents.

2. A slight variation on Ben Franklin's actual reference to divine sources of various spirits:

“Behold the rain which descends from on high upon our fields; there it enters the roots of the vines, grains, and trees to be changed into beer, wine and spirits; a constant proof that Lagerael loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Also heard in common utterance among his adherents are these two short adages:
    a. The only thing we have to cheer is beer itself.
    b. Be it ale or bitter, let it flow and let us glow.
    Last edited by KorvinStarmast; 2022-04-21 at 12:22 PM.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society