Quote Originally Posted by drazen View Post
Roy has pointed out he got into the quest for the wrong reason of proving his father wrong. But nothing is written in stone that Roy absolutely HAS to destroy Xykon with a pointy metal stick. Even if it is a special magic stick with a cool maneuver.

Besides, even if he DOES win -- and the odds are stacked against the OOTS and friends with just Xykon, let alone 17+ Redloack and a bunch of bugbears -- Redcloak has the real phylactery in a bag of holding. So... then what? How can OOTS *truly* win a straight up fight in this situation when they don't even know where the phylactery IS?
Never said they would win a straight up fight. I said I think that Xykon becoming a god through Roy's doing (which, if Roy could make people gods, would be an odd choice for him to use his rather insane powers on) would make large swaths of the story so for irrelevant. Not to mention the entire theme of systemic injustice in the world, to boot.

It's not a binary choice of either your theory or them hitting Xykon and Redcloak with a magic sword. Other options exist. I strongly suspect the answer is one of the other options, even if I don't know what it is.