Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
Roko runs (somehow), an AI rights advocacy organization. Labor rights is definitely going to be part of that advocacy, perhaps even a majority of it since many AIs, by their very nature have no need for many of the other sorts of rights ordinary humans do. In this case, for instance, the AI in question lives in the assembly line. It doesn't have to worry about people treating it badly in the public sphere because it never goes there. This fight is very much Roko's, especially as the AI in question probably retained her organization as pro bono legal counsel - this is a common activity by NGOs in the US, as merely threatening to litigate some issue can open up negotiations.
I understand what you mean, but I just think Roko is ultimately secondary in this fight*. I think that her fight as a leader of an NGO should be to keep it running in the face of adversities that might come from inside (quarrels, jading, loss of confidence) or outside (lack of funding). Nelson's fight would be to win the cases and apply leverage. I'm not sure of what Beeps's fight would be: improve her act as an ambassador, I guess.

To tell the truth, it's pretty odd that we didn't see Roko and Beep's presentation. It would have added a lot to the situation (showing the bad guys!), and opened up a lot of options in how to present Roko's relationship with Beep. It would also have been a good chance to explain if it's really a single AI who wants to become an union unto itself, and some general info about the situation at the plant.

*this is probably an effect of her never meeting the AI of interest. Otherwise, I would understand the transferral of the fight from the worker to the representative.