To me this reads like the kind of thing neonates might have to do to join the Invictus or rise in it's ranks, so I'd recommend having them either be unaligned, Invictus, or the kind of neonate covenants might be willing to 'lend' to a Prince. I can very much see an Ordo Dracul or Lancea et Sanctum neonate being a kind of arcane expert.

Also first or second edition? In 2e I'd recommend fewer XP, 30 Experiences is a lot (it's 15 skill dots or 10 dots of In-Clan Disciplines). 2e Experiences are worth about 5 1e Experience Points, and are meant to be earnt slightly faster (about 1 Experience a session).

If set in the modern day the Prince/Baron/Queen/High Elder of the college town could either have recently been deposed or engaging in behaviour that the Prince does not agree with. So the players are to set the stage so she can sweep in, remove the current leadership (violently or nonviolently) and set up a puppet government. 30 miles is probably far away enough that they won't rule directly.