Quote Originally Posted by Easy e View Post
Crassus was pretty famous for that!

I was thinking more of doctors, but entertainers would also fit the bill too.
Also tinkers and blacksmiths in some times and places, though they tended to wander through a few specific places rather than far and wide as I understand it.

My issue with the goblin raiders example presented is where are the goblins coming from? How are they in an area where they can even raid towns? Border settlements are generally fortified because cross border raiding is just part of ordinary life in a medieval context, and important roads are guarded by keeps and watchtowers and so on. If they're from inside the kingdom then why are villages in their vicinity not fortified, and why hasn't the kingdom put in the effort to wipe them out?

To me the line between them being more threatening than highwaymen and the barony deserving to fall because it hasn't rallied to stop them is very thin, to the point that if I found out that a Baron wasn't gathering his knights and men-at-arms to stop goblins from razing entire villages to the ground I'd be more concerned with getting rid of the Baron than the goblins. Hell, if the goblins are organised enough to ransack multiple villages in the time it takes the local knights to muster a force capable of stopping them I'd actually be in favour of putting the goblins in charge, they at least seem capable of military organisation.