Quote Originally Posted by strangebloke View Post
I don't think we'll ever agree. They are iterating, yes, but why are they iterating? Leveraging social pressure to push everyone onto a new iteration is exactly how every multiplayer game makes money. You buy the new Call of Duty because if you don't you'll be left behind and won't have people to play with. This is basic market strategy 101, and its all over the industry. It was very specifically not supposed to be part of 5e.

Sure, they'll say all nice things about "player feedback" and "streamlined design " and all that, and some of that might be true, but removing things from their shop isn't primarily driven by this. There's no reason to remove things from the shop unless the goal is leveraging social pressure to push new books. Which is what they're doing. That's why they've launched this latest book digitally. You yourself call this 'money grubbing' and I agree. I just take it one logical step further.
If they explicitly and repeatedly tell you why they're iterating, and you abjectly refuse to believe them, I genuinely can't see where you go from there. Other than the patently unrealistic "continue to design, playtest, and publish both philosophies!"

There's no vow.
Then why are a bunch of people pretending there was?

But when promoting the game and its supplements, Mike made loads of statements likes this:

https://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...ostPageIndex=1
or this:
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/statu...eview-hints%2F
That clearly speak to 5e being sold as a stable edition where books sold will be consistently reliable. And for the most part they have been! That's been a strength of the edition for the most part, I would say, but they've stuck to this strategy when they arguably shouldn't have - failing to update the base monk, ranger, or sorcerer for four years, as one example. But again, just because I think Tasha's ranger is better (though honestly it still sucks) doesn't mean that I think the original PHB should be unavailable if someone finds the favored terrain/foe business more interesting.

Suddenly going "surprise, your book we sold you a year ago is now now outdated and we won't sell it" is... yeah, its dumb.
Can you point to, whether in these articles or a different one, anywhere where he said "we promise never to iterate on or publish a new PHB?" Because I think you all just read way too much into "we think we can drop the edition numbers from this edition's title."

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
I think the implication is that the feelings are out of proportion to the events occurring, and he's not alone in that opinion. If you bought the physical books, great, you can keep using the rules you have; if you bought the digital books and are worried that you'll no longer have access to the rules you thought you were purchasing, then you weren't paying attention to the Term of Sales; if you think that you don't like the direction the game is heading, you don't need to buy anything further and can keep using what you already have (where I think I currently am). There's not much more going on here than that, and since you know where the game is heading, you should have sufficient information to make informed decisions - or at least enough information to sensibly delay further purchases and wait until future books are released - on if you want to invest further.
Yes, exactly.